Bitter tastes tart or cidery and very bubbly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyx

Reaction score
So we brewed up the Pub Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/pub-ale-21226/) and it's been in the primary for about 2 weeks. Just took a sample and tasted:

- Taste tart or cidery like. Reminds me of the Harpoon Raspberry UFO
- Had a lot of little bubbles like it's carbonated

Here is what we did:

- Mashed and got some channeling, so we adjusted and recirculated some of the sweet running's. The sparge water was too hot at some point too, (175 F)
- Did not have time to do the boil, so we covered the brew kettle with foil, put the lid on and stored in the basement which is about 55 F

This recipe had some brown sugar in it.

The FG should be 1015 but it's at 1020 right now.

It fermented at 64F for 3 days or so and since then it's been between 52 - 55 F

Did I get a sour mash? It's not bubbly now, but was when I first racked off a sample it was; like champagne. Why so bubbly? The brown sugar?

The funny thing is that it tastes nothing like a bitter, but I actually like the taste :)

Thanks!

(Needless to say, I won't be storing overnight before the boil again -- at least not in a non-airtight container)

I will do that.

I also realized that we got some new dish soap recently that is "all natural" and has grapefruit oil in it -- we washed out the carboy with some soap and then sterilized w/ bleach and water. I think this may be a case of the oils infusing in the beer! Doh.

What do you folks use to wash carboys? Just hot water? Some sort of homebrew wash or pure soap?

Back