any chance of saving a contaminated batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

Reaction score
HELP!! I evidently have contaminated a 5-gal batch of hoppy IPA.

I cooked it up Saturday 2/7 evening, pitched the yeast, and no action AT ALL of fermentation. The batch is in the brew pail, and the air lock hasn't budged.

I hate to waste the $50 of supplies, is it possible to reboil the wort to sanitize, TOTALLY resanitize the pail, and toss in new yeast? (I know where my lapse in sanitation probably came, I licked a spoon!) (been brewing for years, and should know better, got arrogant)

The earliest I can reboil is this (Monday, 2/9) evening. Should I waste good "California Ale" yeast (I have another vial) on this botched batch, or just try some bread yeast?????

Thanks,
--Karen

Just give it some time. Licking the spoon wouldn't kill the yeast you pitched. May just be a bit longer lag than you typically see. I'd give it at least another day.

If you haven't looked around this sight much, you'll find that when it comes to fermentation, every body says patience, patience, patience.

Latest posts

Back