Cutting the top out of a SS keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Ive been thinking of ways to cut the top off his SS keg I just picked up. Has anyone used a plasma cutter on one? If so how well did it work?

I would like to use a cutting wheel, but can't seem to find one that I can borrow. So right now my options are a jig saw and a plasma cutter. Any advice would be great. thanks

Or go to your local sheet metal shop, and pay then a few dollars. They can make short work of it. Unless you have a plasma cutter, in which case, nevermind.:eek:

Since you have access to a plasma torch, have at it. This is the idea tool for cutting SS.

Jester4176 said:
If you use a plasma cutter, just be sure to put water in the bottom so nothing sticks to the bottom.

Ahh, good point, I didn't even think about that. Ok, thanks for the replies everyone. Plasma cutter it is then. Ive been looking for an excuse to break it out at work and use it too.

*edit

ok I just spoke with my buddy who found the keg for me. I don't have any pictures yet of it but heres what he said. There are 5 "spokes" coming out of the center valve to the outside of the keg. Kind of like ridges on top of the keg. Will this hinder the cutting at all? I guess what Im getting at is are those structural or cosmetic?

I'm just guessing here, but the "spokes" are more likely structural. Putting them there makes the top more ridgid. Sorta like when you see HVAC ducts with those diagonal creases. Keeps them from warping or bending.

At any rate, it shouldn't hinder the cutting (especially with a plasma cutter, I'd think) and won't have any effect on the finished product. You're not going to be putting any downward pressure on the top. Those things are built to be tossed around with 120 lbs of liquid in them. Unless you treat things like the Samsonite gorilla, I can't imagine you could do enough to the structural integrity of the keg to worry about it.

Heck... if you cut as much of the top off as most folks do, there won't be any of the spokes left anyway. Seems like most pics I've seen are cut to within a couple inches of the edge of the top.

If you want a lid go to Wal Mart and buy a stainless replacement lid and then cut the hole to match the lid.

Definately put some water in the keg before you cut with a plasma cutter or the slag will stick to it.

I used a 4- inch grinder with a cutting wheel. A plasma cutter is probably faster, but the grinder did the job for me.

I've used a plasma cutter on LPG tanks at work and there is nothing like them. I have a keg that I'm going to cut out with it. What i'm going to do is to mark for the hole in the top and cut just up to the line. That way I can grind and then sand the hole for a good fit. Try this link. http://xb-70.com/beer/3_tier/#intro#intro
Is mostly about a 3 tier brew stand but it has some stuff on kegs.

I just took two kegs to a local welder. He cut out the top, added the fittings I wanted and handed it back in a pretty painless way for $80. I had started out using a jigsaw with the appropriate blade, and while the cutting was pretty easy (relatively speaking), the blade was too wide to effect a small enough circle.

Joe White
Nothing ventured, no pain.

Back