Can you remove stick-on thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsday

Reaction score
Granted...I'm "frugal" (read cheap)...but has anyone figured out how to remove a stick-on thermometer ( fermometer ) ? I've tried with mixed success...usually they de-laminate (pull apart between layers).

Does anyone think pre-heating with a hair dryer or heat gun would work? Can you ruin them with excessive heat?

thanks

It can be done if you use a razor blade or knife to get it started. Heat would probably help too, but I've found that unless you're really careful and really lucky the liquid crystals get crushed or something and become permanently activated. I'm 1 for 3, but you may be better at it than me.

Just curious, why would you want to take it off then reuse it? Simply to prevent buying another strip? They are 2 or 3 dollars.....I'm fairly "frugal" too, but really? You'll probably use more electricity heating it up with a hair dryer than just buying a second strip for the other bucket/carboy....

you win irishred...I just ordered 10 from Label peelers along with about $200 of other stuff...great prices!

:)

you win irishred...I just ordered 10 from Label peelers along with about $200 of other stuff...great prices!

:)

LOL good for you!! For reasons like this I treat going to my LHBS like going to the horse races. Never go in with more money than your comfortable loosing! I can go in for $2 worth of bottle caps and end up needing help to get everything to my truck in one trip....... I'll have to give Label Peelers a look!:mug:

Back