When to harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdog

Reaction score
photobucket-4705-1343682426559.jpg

So.....her is my cascade plant. I have cones on it now, some of which are developing faster than others. ow do I know when to harvest? Will it be all at once? Or a little at a time? Do they start to give off aroma?

Thanks!

Your babies have a ways to go. I wait until the cone petals "open", lupulin is visible near the strig, and the petals have gotten to the "papery" stage. By that time there are some huge cones, and depending on strain they could be closing in on four inches long. Keeps things interesting :)

You can see in this pic the petals have gotten some space between them and aren't all just laying down tight together.
hops_29july2012_01.jpg

Once you see this, it won't be too long before they start getting that "papery feel". You can push on from there and wait until a few cones start getting brownish tipped petals, then call it and start harvesting.

The presumption in all of this is that the further out you can push the harvest the higher the lupulin payload, otherwise you could harvest any time you got the urge ;)

Cheers!

So from what you are saying it sounds like I will be harvesting all at the same time? Will they start to smell on the bine?

So from what you are saying it sounds like I will be harvesting all at the same time? Will they start to smell on the bine?

No, just that yours need more time on the bine. Whether they all are ripe at the same time is a whole 'nuther matter, no way to tell from here.

If I stick my face right into a cluster of cones I can pick up a faint citrusy air on top of the "green" plant smell, but otherwise I'd say no. Otoh, when you get to pickin' your fingers will smell amazing :)

Cheers!

Back