got grain powder from brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
So I visted a local brewery today for a free tour, at the end they handed out some free items. One of which was a ziplock bag of milled grains, its powder form. I forget exactly what they said it was (too many free samples) but he presented it as adding it to food "for flavor" and you could use it to make dusty road ice cream.

As I drove home I started thinking, this stuff looks exactly like dryed malt extract. So my question to end this mindless rant is can I use this for starters? I know the question is hard to answer as you guys dont know exactly what I'm talking about, but the taste, smell, and look is exactly that of extract.. I got 3 ziplock bags full of it so I was hoping to use it to make some starters. any input would be nice. :mug:

I think you should drive the 1/2 mile to my house and give me one so I can analyze it for you. :D
Sounds like DME to me. What brewery?

So I visted a local brewery today for a free tour, at the end they handed out some free items. One of which was a ziplock bag of milled grains, its powder form. I forget exactly what they said it was (too many free samples) but he presented it as adding it to food "for flavor" and you could use it to make dusty road ice cream.

As I drove home I started thinking, this stuff looks exactly like dryed malt extract. So my question to end this mindless rant is can I use this for starters? I know the question is hard to answer as you guys dont know exactly what I'm talking about, but the taste, smell, and look is exactly that of extract.. I got 3 ziplock bags full of it so I was hoping to use it to make some starters. any input would be nice. :mug:

If it's milled grain, that's been milled down to a powder, then you can't use it for brewing. You need to mash it and use the wort from that. In powder form, it's too fine to be filtered by what is available to us. So you won't be able to mash, and sparge with it. With a ziplock bag amount (quart? gallon?) it's not really enough to do much with even if you had a recipe ready to add it to. Chances are, it would cause a stuck sparge.

I'd add it to a bread recipe if I had it. Of course, it would help to know which grain(s) it contained so that you know what to expect. :D

SBC, if i find time this week ill see if you're around and stop over, if not ill show you at the next meeting.

Wet a coupe of fingers and stick them in the bag.
If it's malt extract, it will be the stickiest substance you've ever touched.

Once time I tried to use a french press on finely ground grain. Nope. The best you can do is let it settle and decant, or mix with rice hulls and squeeze. Not worth it.

It sounds like grain that's been milled to flour. You can add it to a grain bill if you do AG. Just toss in a handful of rice hulls and you should be good to go. Or add it to a BIAB grain bill.

Wet a coupe of fingers and stick them in the bag.
If it's malt extract, it will be the stickiest substance you've ever touched.

Amen to that. I spilled an exceeding small amount in my kitchen. Like some anthrax or something, it floated all over the house and ended up in the most bizarre places. I never told my wife hoping it would be the perfect crime. Nope.

"Hey, what is this sticky **** on the wood floor? I can't get it off with any cleaner I tried! I steamed it, used cleaner, use ammonia, vinegar, it won't come off!"

So much for the perfect crime. It was a gigantic pain in the ass. Couldn't have been more than maybe one or two tablespoons spilled. Contaminated about 200 square feet.

Amen to that. I spilled an exceeding small amount in my kitchen. Like some anthrax or something, it floated all over the house and ended up in the most bizarre places. I never told my wife hoping it would be the perfect crime. Nope.

"Hey, what is this sticky **** on the wood floor? I can't get it off with any cleaner I tried! I steamed it, used cleaner, use ammonia, vinegar, it won't come off!"

So much for the perfect crime. It was a gigantic pain in the ass. Couldn't have been more than maybe one or two tablespoons spilled. Contaminated about 200 square feet.

Too bad you didn't know me. I just happen to be a wood floor contractor! ;)

Latest posts

Back