How to adjust ammount of hops according to Alpha Acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I just recently bought brewing classic styles and the recipes give you the alpha acid of the hops and the ibu's from each hop addition. In the book it says to adjust the amount of hops according to their actual alpha acids, but doesn't tell you the equation. How do you do this? and are there any calculators available?

My method is straight ratio method... I think it is similar to the BU method...

If the recipe calls for 1 oz of hops @ 8% (1 x 8 = 8 BUs) I would substitute 1/2 oz of 16% or 2 oz of 4% (.5 x 16 or 2 x 4 = the same 8 BUs).

Generally, if the AA% of the hops I have is within 10% of the % called for in the recipe, I ignore the difference, as long as my recipe still falls within category guidelines.

NOTE: This only refers to bittering amounts that I use as the 60 min addition. Changing the amount of hops by large amounts will likely change the flavor profile of the finished beer.

(Adding this, because you got a post in while I was typing)

Most likely, your LHBS is only going to sell by the oz. so that won't matter to your buy, unless it forces you up to the next oz.

AA% x (oz. of hops)=AAU(alpha acid units)

10%AA x 2 oz=20 AAU
8%AA x 2.5 oz=20 AAU
5%AA x 4 oz=20 AAU

See where I'm going with this?
This is a good way to adjust hops compared to your recipe.

Here's what I do:

If the recipe tells you to use 8.4% and all you have is 5.7 just divide 5.7 into 8.4 to see how many of the 5.7 you have to use...in this case 1.47 oz.

Same goes the other way...recipe says 5.7 and you have 8.4...8.4 into 5.7 = .67 oz (of the 8.4).

Simple math, really. I think this is more like what you're looking for.

As mentioned above, adjust the 60 minute addition, and perhaps the 30/15 minute additions. I wouldn't change anything on the 10 minute or lower additions, you are going with aroma/flavor with those and not getting a ton of bitterness. If the recipe wants 1 oz of cascade at flame out it doesn't particularly matter what the AA% of those cascades are.

As mentioned above, adjust the 60 minute addition, and perhaps the 30/15 minute additions. I wouldn't change anything on the 10 minute or lower additions, you are going with aroma/flavor with those and not getting a ton of bitterness. If the recipe wants 1 oz of cascade at flame out it doesn't particularly matter what the AA% of those cascades are.

the only hop addition that had a different alpha acid value was the 60 minute addition. It only had 1 alpha acid unit more in the recipe. I am going to just stick with the 1 oz, that way I don't have to buy another ounce for 2.8 grams

the only hop addition that had a different alpha acid value was the 60 minute addition. It only had 1 alpha acid unit more in the recipe. I am going to just stick with the 1 oz, that way I don't have to buy another ounce for 2.8 grams

Sounds like a good plan, I would do the same thing in that situation.

Latest posts

Back