Looking for a PH Cheat Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and I'm picking up little tidbits of info here and there. One of the things I want to get a better handle on is water PH. I've read that if my water is like 7.5 then I should get a nice 5.5 after the mash. But I've also read that I need to make sure the PH is right for the sparge (i fly sparge), and that it should be slightly acidic. What should this value be? Is the reading being taken from the water going into the sparge or the running's from the MLT?

Anyone got a nice cheat sheet for PH protocol?

Designing Great Beers has a calculation for predicting mash pH, but you may need a water report to use it.

As for the sparge pH, you want to stay under 8. I doubt the mash/sparge can raise the pH above what your water already is (can it?), so you're probably OK there, but 7.5 could be close depending on how long you sparge and the temperature of your sparge water (stay under 180°F). You could bring it down to 6.X just to be safe.

Back