A "normal" stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of attempting my own recipe. I haven't formulated anything yet, but what would be a good "base" recipe to get this started so I can tweak as I feel will help it?
Thanks in advance!

I would agree with the above grain bill but you could add a bit of special B, chocolate malt, and or some oats. A few oz. up to a 1/2 lb. would do it. Mash high at 156 and it will be sweet and chewy. Mash low at 150 and it will be dry let a bit of bitterness through. Yeast is also a big flavor component . I go with wlp 004 or if you want it dry and clean a S-05 will do the trick.

Outstanding, I love this forum so much, I'm such a noobie and people still help me, and from the above recipe it looks like I need to pick up all grain :X

What I'm used to doing is extract with grains and hops, is that partial mash or just extract? But I'll have to start pricing some gear like a bigger pot, voile, and see if the wife will allow me to upgrade right now lol
Thanks guys, I'll most likely start to re-read my all grain chapter of how to brew for the 5th(?) time now. That's a great book, but some of the AG terminology confuses me and I get
Mixed up :/

Outstanding, I love this forum so much, I'm such a noobie and people still help me, and from the above recipe it looks like I need to pick up all grain :X

What I'm used to doing is extract with grains and hops, is that partial mash or just extract? But I'll have to start pricing some gear like a bigger pot, voile, and see if the wife will allow me to upgrade right now lol
Thanks guys, I'll most likely start to re-read my all grain chapter of how to brew for the 5th(?) time now. That's a great book, but some of the AG terminology confuses me and I get
Mixed up :/

You could convert the above recipe to extract with steeped grains.

I'm "guesstimating", but you could replace the base grain (pale malt) with 6 or 7 lbs of dark dry malt extract OR 8 or 9 lbs of dark liquid extract if you have any preference. Then just steep the specialty grains listed above at 160F or so for 20-30 mins and proceed as you would with any other brew.

drkaeppel said:
You could convert the above recipe to extract with steeped grains.

I'm "guesstimating", but you could replace the base grain (pale malt) with 6 or 7 lbs of dark dry malt extract OR 8 or 9 lbs of dark liquid extract if you have any preference. Then just steep the specialty grains listed above at 160F or so for 20-30 mins and proceed as you would with any other brew.

You make that sound so easy to convert lol well I'm still going to take baby steps to AG eventually. I may as well start soon

Here's one I've used a few times (converted to extract for you)
6.5lb Pale malt liquid extract
1lb Flaked barley
1lb Crystal 120
1lb Chocolate malt
.5lb Roasted barley
1.5oz Willamette @ 60min (around 25 IBUs, can sub other hops for bittering like Warrior, Magnum, EKG, etc. just shoot for around 25-30 IBU)
1 pack Nottingham yeast

I know style-wise the IBU is a little low, but I don't care too much for hops in my stouts so I aim a little lower for the bigger malt contribution. I'll use this recipe and add 8oz Hersheys Cocao powder last 15min in boil to make chocolate stout. Increase the roasted barley to .75lb and the extract to 8lb for more of a Foreign Export style stout.

Edit: If you use fresh English malt extract, I'd cut the c-120 and choc malt to .5-.75lb

Google CYBI Shakespeare Stout, brew and enjoy. Seriously though, that recipe was and is outstanding. It's on my rebrew list for stouts.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, my wife is considering letting me upgrade to AG because all I need for my BIAB is a bigger pot and a voile bag, but after I pay the bills I'll see if I can brew next month :)

Back