Split boil vs. full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do an all-grains smoked porter recipe, however this time I would like to do the majority of the brewing inside due to weather. Normally I would do a full 6.5 gallon boil with my propane burner outdoors, but would like to do the boil indoors on my stove if possible. I have an electric stove so there is no way I can get 6.5 gallons boiling, but what if I split it into 2 pots? How do I do the hop additions? Does it matter if I just add the hops to 1 pot? Or should I split the hops as well? Has anyone done this before, what's the downside?

Also, let's say I end up with 4.5 gallons of wort at the end, is there anything wrong with adding .75 gallons of water to reach the 5.25 gallon mark?

I have done a lot of indoor brewing in the winter, too. The split pot method works fine, it is just a bit more work. The best thing is to try to put equal amounts of each runnings into both pots, that way your gravity is approximately equal. Then just split your hops proportional to the volume.

After doing this for a couple years, I figured out that I *COULD* actually do one big boil on my electric stove. Here is the thread -- it may be worth a look:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/improved-boiling-stovetop-53683/

:mug:

There should be no problem adding all of the hops to one pot and then combining the two after the boil or splitting the hops equally into each pot. But, it is important that the gravity in each pot is the same. Hop bitterness utilization is different depending on how high or low the concentration of the wort gravity and must be considered when calculating the total IBU's. For instance, if you have your first runnings in one pot and the gravity is 1.080 and then finish sparging into the second pot and the gravity is only 1.030 and then add equal amounts of hops to each, the lower gravity beer will utilize more of the potential hop bitterness during the boil than the higher gravity beer would. This also concerns the question of adding 3/4 gal. water to the wort, although I wouldn't be too concerned when considering only 3/4 gal.
mark
Beer Diary...

I will slightly disagree with one comment made above. You definitely want to split your hops into each of the two pots. The absolute volume of the boil also affects hop utilization and flavour, in addition to the gravity of the wort. If you only boil your hops in one of the pots, you are effectively halving the volume and your recipe might turn out a bit different than you expect.

:mug:

Yea, you definitely want to split the hops up.

I have done this split pot method for many batches and had no problems at all. It was fun. The clean up of the kitchen afterwards was a breeze too. (Ok, that last bit is a total lie.:))

Back