The First Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
My first dunkelweisen is now 7 days in and I took a hydrometer reading and its only 1.02. The OG was about 1.06, although it was my first time using a hydrometer and the wort was about 70 degrees rather than 60 so the reading could have been slightly off. Wheat beers are pretty quick from what I hear, what's up with this hydrometer reading? I am going to rack into my secondary for another 7 days really just for some flocculation. Any ideas?

Take the reading for the next few days. You might want to get the yeast off the bottom to see if they can finish up. I have same issue now.

It shouldn't make any difference to the yeasties, but will help them work on the remaining sugars. They will flocculate out again over the next week after you swirl them up. Especially if you are planning on a couple week in secondary,it won't hurt to get them back in suspension for a few days.

terje

will disturbing the yeast cake mess with anything?

no. what it does is gets the yeast back into suspension, rouses them, mixes them up and makes them get off their lazy asses and back to work.

some people worry about oxidation, but there is so much co2 in the head of your fermentation vessel that shaking it wouldn't even be a problem, let alone just a swirl. no oxygen will get in there.

good to see you are using your hydrometer and that you caught this. but patience is key. my advice is to rouse the yeast and let it sit another week, whether you are transferring to secondary or not.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back