For brewing outside on windy days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
It's amazing what 12 bucks of flashing can do to improve boil times plus keep your legs from getting singed by the power of the Banjo!

Windscreen.jpg

What you Texans call Wind makes me smile.

In Eastern Colorado....while brewing on a windy day...you are likely to have your 15 gallon brew keg full of wort and burner blow over right there in the drive...forget about a tin wind shield.

Great Idea, and I must say I am Jealous!!

I'll have to keep this in mind. I brew in my garage, but when the wind comes in from the west something like this would be useful.

Where's Colorado? ;)
10 windiest cities
Avg annual wind speed in mph
1. Blue Hill Observatory, Massachusetts15.4
2. Dodge City, Kansas14.0
3. Amarillo, Texas13.5
4. Rochester, Minnesota13.1
5. Casper, Wyoming12.9
6. Cheyenne, Wyoming12.9
7. Great Falls, Montana12.7
8. Goodland, Kansas12.6
9. Boston, Massachusetts12.5
10. Lubbock, Texas12.4

I was using some spare wire to hang pot lids around my stand. :)

Stupid question time...

If it's windy out how will that lightweight flashing stay in place and not blow around on it's own?

I need a windshield and I can't see from the picture how you hold it in place.

10 windiest cities
3. Amarillo, Texas13.5
5. Casper, Wyoming12.9
6. Cheyenne, Wyoming12.9
8. Goodland, Kansas12.6
10. Lubbock, Texas12.4

Chicago didn't make the list? Maybe they should give their nickname so someone more deserving

Where's Colorado? ;)
10 windiest cities
3. Amarillo, Texas13.5
5. Casper, Wyoming12.9
6. Cheyenne, Wyoming12.9
8. Goodland, Kansas12.6
10. Lubbock, Texas12.4

This list would be entirely different if it wasn't the average, check gusts and high wind speeds. Chicago is really only very windy a few months out of the year, the rest of the time it is nice. I am sure the same applys to colorado, in the winter they gust upwards of 40 etc. There is a big difference in having the wind blowing 10 to 20 miles every single day of the year (great for wind power) and having some slow days with a few 50mphers peppered in.

FWIW, the Santa Anas in Socal are nothing to scoff at. Nothing like a non-stop hot wind that lasts for a month or two ;)

Chicago didn't make the list? Maybe they should give their nickname so someone more deserving

Ummm...that's because I'm in the burbs...much windier out here with no trees.:p

It gets quite gusty about once a week on average. Usually on days I want to brew. Or any time a thunderstorm rolls through...like now. I just had both of my smokers and one of the grills get blown over. That qualifies as windy.

For the record, Chicago was nicknamed the Windy City because of its politicians, not its weather.

I had no clue I lived in the fourth windiest city in the US. But I did notice that my last brew session outside took almost twice as long to get the boil started. This weekend I'm moving back into the garage where there is no wind.

In Eastern Colorado....while brewing on a windy day...you are likely to have your 15 gallon brew keg full of wort and burner blow over right there in the drive...forget about a tin wind shield.

Great Idea, and I must say I am Jealous!!

What you people in Eastern Colorado call wind is makes me smile. :D

Back