Coleman 28 qt. at Walmart $11.88

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone shopping for a MT. while browsing through Walmart last night, I noticed they have a Coleman 28 qt. cooler chest for the low, low, price of 11.88. Seems like it would be a great size for various 5 gal batches. Sort of a nice tweener b/w a 5 gal. (20 qt) and a 48 qt. cube. IMHO and experience, a 48 qt. seems a wee oversized for a 5 gal batch and the 20 qt. a tad small.

Oh, no spigot at that price so you would have to drill it. If I didn't already have 3 tuns in my arsenal (25, 40 and 60), I would have snapped one up.

Regards, Mike

Just kinda guessing here, but I would think you could do a pretty hefty 5 gal. batch if you maxed out the 28 qt., and either did an additional batch sparge of fly'd it. maybe some of the # crunchers around here could predict the limits of a 28 Qt. tun.

wilserbrewer said:
Just kinda guessing here, but I would think you could do a pretty hefty 5 gal. batch if you maxed out the 28 qt., and either did an additional batch sparge of fly'd it. maybe some of the # crunchers around here could predict the limits of a 28 Qt. tun.

You could get 20 pounds of grain in there...definitely more than enough for a 5 gal batch. I like extra room for additions to hit different rests, though.

Back