dumb lme question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between light lme and gold lme? I'm doing an ipa and the recipe calls for light lme but I was curious to see if gold lme would work for it? Any thoughts?

Check the color, usually a number given in SRM. The gold will have a little higher number...

If there both Breisse,for example,the light from them seems like it'd be like extra light vs light DME from Munton's to me. I got Breisse gold LME with my cascade pale ale kit,which made a golden ale with a very slight amber blush. Something like extra light gives a light lager sort of color in my PM pale ales.

One school of though with extracts is to use the lightest possible, and add color and flavor with caramel and other specialty grains. Light, extra light and gold area all so close in flavor and color as to be identical for most brews, unless of course your batch is only the LME...

I believe there is simply a color difference in the two. Extra Light is typically Pilsen malt. It has been discussed elsewhere, because of the extract making process DMS should not be of concern.

Extra Light/Pilsen (Briess) is Pilsen base malt with carapils; color 2 Lovibond; 75% fermentable

Golden Light (Briess) is unspecified base malt with carapils; color 4 Lovibond; 75% fermentable

Hope this helps.

Back