Wife is going to kill me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So I ordered a bunch of stuff today I ordered 25 vials with lids form crazyirishman34 with shipping A blue moon kit and a digital Johnson controller from AHS. A refractometer, sight glass w/thermometer, and another basic sight glass from Bobby M. Oh and Just for kicks I found a centrifuge on Ebay so I placed a bid on it (I low balled it so I probably wont win but it is fun) when she bitches I am going to tell her I decided not to build the keezer right now, and use the freezer as a fermentation chamber. In the long run it saver her money.:ban: Sounds like a good excuse to me. :mug:

Just tell her you are brewing her her own batch of beer, whatever she wants...that works with my wife :)

At least you'll only hear one set of complaints that way.

I'm lucky, my wife doesn't get mad and she only occasionally gets even.

That is why I ordered the Blue Moon clone. So she can have her own beer. Well mostly her own beer. All the other stuff is so it will get it right so ultimatly it is all for her right:drunk:

BE A MAN (and hide all purchases like I do) :)
I do that too! And then tell her that I just made 5 gallons of beer for $16.

$16 for the grain, plus $45 for site glass, $120 for the kettle, $40 for the weldless ball valve, etc. I haven't figured out the depreciation of all my equipment yet.

Hey we all do what we have to right. I am usually home unless I am at school. I track all the packages and try to intercept them prior to he seeing them. They head directly to the garage and it disappears later she will see me with it and I can honestly say i bought it months ago.

Uuuh,well,amanda,if both of you brew,wouldn't that make it better? I explain to my wife, who brews too that it's needed for x part of the prodcess & why. That seems to make sense to her. I let her brew what she wants. Of course,I also like what she likes too,so that's cool.

This is a funny thread..
Order & intercept is what i do... So, where did you get the "Blue Moon" clone from?

oops, nvm, I see it... AHS

This happens alot on the fishing websites I belong to. One way around it is to have the items shipped to your work or a friends house.

Out of sight, out of mind.

This is a funny thread..
Order & intercept is what i do... So, where did you get the "Blue Moon" clone from?

oops, nvm, I see it... AHS

I have been working on a starter for it. I started with a bottle of Blue Moon and the dregs maybe half to 3/4 of a gram of yeast and other trub out of the bottom and I have been stepping it up since. I now have enough yeast to choke a horse. I will be banking some of it until I try the clone. If it is good I will freeze it and be set for a long time

I wish my wife even drank beer, let alone brewed it. I usually just buy and the confess afterwards. That way the yelling is just "why did you spend so much money" instead of "why did you spend so much money after I explicitly told you not to". She has yet to make me return anything :-D

cadillacandy said:
I do that too! And then tell her that I just made 5 gallons of beer for $16.

$16 for the grain, plus $45 for site glass, $120 for the kettle, $40 for the weldless ball valve, etc. I haven't figured out the depreciation of all my equipment yet.

... and yup.

snccoulter said:
Hey we all do what we have to right. I am usually home unless I am at school. I track all the packages and try to intercept them prior to he seeing them. They head directly to the garage and it disappears later she will see me with it and I can honestly say i bought it months ago.

... and this too.

Or, you could be honest with your wife and work out a compromise. Please note that this comes from a guy who's wife enjoys beer and homebrewing. I also have a good sense of on what I should and should not be spending money.

I'm divorced, so I only have to answer to my alter ego!

I started with a bottle of Blue Moon and the dregs maybe half to 3/4 of a gram of yeast and other trub out of the bottom and I have been stepping it up since.

:off: I actually had no idea that Blue Moon had dregs you can harvest in it! I'll have to try it, as well!

Careful about using dregs from a beer like blue moon. It may already be several sessions old and could experience autolysis. Maybe make a small starter batch size of generic brew on the counter and check for it before you pitch into your wort. Commercial yeast is not homebrew yeast.

Just sayin.

I have been messing with this yeast for about 2 to 1.5 weeks and every time I pitch it into a larger starter it kicks up real well but i shall see it is just a 5 gallon batch. I am willing to risk it.
Bobby I will make sure she know you said it was OK.

I got no problems with my wife, we both like beer but she likes expensive vodka better, she gets her vodka, I get my beer, my hobby keeps me out of her hair and we all live in peaceful bliss......

I am glad my wife doesn't like beer. It goes way to fast now I can't imagine if we were both drinking it. She does let my buy what I like so it's win win for me......

I am glad my wife doesn't like beer. It goes way to fast now I can't imagine if we were both drinking it. She does let my buy what I like so it's win win for me......

Oh mine does to I rearley ever get told no but I hear a lot of if you MUST. Remember the kids need cloths or we have this coming up.
Just think you would HAVE to brew more

I do the same thing!, I would feel bad but honestly it's for the good of humanity :D

i do this a lot with musical equipment
works well since i get home before she does. then just put it in the studio and by the time (if) she notices it, it's been there six months

I use an excuse starter and step up at regular intervals from there. The number of step ups generally depends on the number of items I've purchased.

Why is it so hard to just talk to your wife or significant other before you buy things? If she pitches a fit, then ask her why she is upset, explain to her what you want out of this hobby, and if she still doesn't agree then maybe you come to a compromise that you start as bare bones as you can and build up. Seriously, nothing can be more stupid than to hide purchases from your wife. It will only cause conflict and unnecessary fighting than if you had come out with it in the beginning. If she doesn't understand your need to have a hobby and want to take an interest in what makes you happy, then you have a much deeper problem than just money issues. That being said, if she has hobbies of her own that you have put down in the past for her to spend money on, then you deserve ridicule from her too. One possible way to divert her anger would be to ask her what she wants to do for a hobby. Don't be selfish here. If you get to spend money on a hobby, she should as well for something she enjoys doing. Maybe that means you cannot get that extra carboy this month or some new gadget for brewing that is not necessary but nice to have. I just do not comprehend how people think they are in a healthy relationship with someone when they have to do something as childish as hide purchases and intercept delivered packages so she won't know and get upset---she has a compete right to be upset at you. Grow up and talk to your wife about your interests. Is she is so uncompromising, then there are other issues you need to deal with and home brewing shouldn't be your top priority.

Why is it so hard to just talk to your wife or significant other before you buy things? If she pitches a fit, then ask her why she is upset, explain to her what you want out of this hobby, and if she still doesn't agree then maybe you come to a compromise that you start as bare bones as you can and build up. Seriously, nothing can be more stupid than to hide purchases from your wife. It will only cause conflict and unnecessary fighting than if you had come out with it in the beginning. If she doesn't understand your need to have a hobby and want to take an interest in what makes you happy, then you have a much deeper problem than just money issues. That being said, if she has hobbies of her own that you have put down in the past for her to spend money on, then you deserve ridicule from her too. One possible way to divert her anger would be to ask her what she wants to do for a hobby. Don't be selfish here. If you get to spend money on a hobby, she should as well for something she enjoys doing. Maybe that means you cannot get that extra carboy this month or some new gadget for brewing that is not necessary but nice to have. I just do not comprehend how people think they are in a healthy relationship with someone when they have to do something as childish as hide purchases and intercept delivered packages so she won't know and get upset---she has a compete right to be upset at you. Grow up and talk to your wife about your interests. Is she is so uncompromising, then there are other issues you need to deal with and home brewing shouldn't be your top priority.

The problem is, she's right in saying that there is too much stuff and I don't really need a few more kegs, but, I have very little will power and can't turn down a good deal :p

Track it, get home first, and get rid of the cardboard...

I use my business account to pay for my hobby, so the wife doesn't gripe too much. She complains about how much room in the storage/laundry area it's taking up though.

I use my business account to pay for my hobby, so the wife doesn't gripe too much. She complains about how much room in the storage/laundry area it's taking up though.

SWMBO complaints usually fall into one of a few areas:

-You bought xyz without telling me.
-You're spending too much of "our" money on "your" hobby.
-You're taking up too much space with your gear.
-You never clean up after brewing / There is stuff (equipment) everywhere.
-You're spending too much time on your hobby and not enough with me/your family/etc.
-You have too much beer already

The key is to have the answers to those complaints sorted out before hand.

Fennis said:

Dr Phil?

Latest posts

Back