Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Edit: Sorry about the vague title. Meant to edit it before submitting. If a mod could make it a touch more descriptive that'd be awesome.

Two days in a row my FG has been 1.008 with a SG of 1.031.

I let the lacto go for about 3 days first then pitched the yeast with no starter. pH was pretty low and that's the only thing I can think of that would stop fermentation. I wanted to get this in the bottle as soon as possible, was planning on it tonight.

Think it's good to go? I've never brewed one of these before and it's the first time I've bottle in 2+ years. I'm bottling in champagne bottles and shooting for 3.5 vol.

I would personally wait till the gravity is stable a month then bottle. Bugs work slower than normal sacc yeast.

So your post was a bit hard to understand without any recipe detail

e.g.

lacto starter size?
ferm temp?
ferm length?
grain bill?
yeast type?
mash temp?
what was the pH when you added the yeast? how did you test it?

going totally blind, only only OG/FG Id say youll probably be ok to bottle, lacto + sacch wont super attenuate, so your either done, or very close to being done. Bottling in heavy bottles helps, I would tend to shoot for the low end of the range though. Also -Knowing the answers to those other questions may sway this answer.

So your post was a bit hard to understand without any recipe detail

e.g.

lacto starter size?
ferm temp?
ferm length?
grain bill?
yeast type?
mash temp?
what was the pH when you added the yeast? how did you test it?

going totally blind, only only OG/FG Id say youll probably be ok to bottle, lacto + sacch wont super attenuate, so your either done, or very close to being done. Bottling in heavy bottles helps, I would tend to shoot for the low end of the range though. Also -Knowing the answers to those other questions may sway this answer.

Starter with lacto was about 2L started 1 week ahead of time. Made a small incubator and kept it in the mid 90s. Decoction mash with 50/50 Pils & Wheat Malt. Rest at 122 then sac rest around 148-149. Hit numbers dead on 1.031.

Ran off into fermenter and let cool down to around 100F then pitched only the lacto and kept as hot as I could with a heating pad, seemed to be high 80s. Let that run for 4 days (I think, could've been 3. Notes at home). When I saw activity I took off the lid and open fermented until the krausen fell. Turned off the heating pad and added the Euro Ale straight from the tube. The pH was below 4 tested with pH strips. I kept meaning to bring a sample into our lab to get an accurate reading but I'm forgetful.

Exactly one week later I added priming sugar, repitched some S05 and a small starter that I made with the dregs of two bottles of 1809 and bottled. I shot for 3.5 volumes, it was a ton of priming sugar. Used a lot of champagne bottles but still ended up with a case and a half of 12 oz. I did find where a couple of people were getting 4.5 volumes in regular 12 oz bottles with no problems, but I shot low just in case. Bottles are sitting in cases with garbage bags wrapped around them.

Beer tasted fine going into the bottles, could taste some tartness but not close to where it should be. That doesn't concern me, though.

sounds fine to me. I just did a berliner and the lacto took the gravity down to .008 on its own. I'm going to bulk age in the carboy for a few months on some brett with mine though, so it will be a bit more dry/ funky.

Back