Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering this refractometer:
Amazon Link

I fail to believe that with all this technology there are no digital hydrometer type devices yet, but I've searched and a refractometer is all I can find. It's still leaps and bounds over looking at a bobber in a tube, but a little disappointing that it's the best we can do.

Anyone have experience with refractometers? Are they worth the $40? If the description holds true it should at least give a more accurate reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with this one... Especially since it has the temperature compensation in it... My brew buddy has one... Works really good, and is easy to use to boot. Very low tech means almost nothing can break on it. No batteries to replace either.

There are digital ones, but they are NOT cheap (or not nearly as inexpensive as the conventional models...

Anyone have experience with refractometers? Are they worth the $40? If the description holds true it should at least give a more accurate reading.

YES!

If you brew all grain it will help you so much in determining your gravity readings at any time during the boil quickly and easily. This way you can adjust your hop schedule, add dme, water down, etc on the fly. Plus it's just a friggin cool toy to play with :)

I still like to take hydro readings to determine FG because I like to taste the sample anyway, but it is definitely a worthwhile piece of hardware to own.

Remember that a refractometer only works on original gravity. Not final gravity.

Nice.. is the conversion from Brix to SG complicated, or is there at least a site I can just plugin numbers to?

Remember that a refractometer only works on original gravity. Not final gravity.

Actually, there are ways to compensate for the alcohol throwing off the readings... There's a spreadsheet with the formula's in it, or you can use the Beer Smith Refractometer Tool to correct too.

I do plan on getting one, eventually, just need to get a few other things taken care of first...

I would go with this one... Especially since it has the temperature compensation in it... My brew buddy has one... Works really good, and is easy to use to boot. Very low tech means almost nothing can break on it. No batteries to replace either.
Why pay an extra $10? The original one also had temperature compensation.

-a.

Actually, there are ways to compensate for the alcohol throwing off the readings... There's a spreadsheet with the formula's in it, or you can use the Beer Smith Refractometer Tool to correct too.

I do plan on getting one, eventually, just need to get a few other things taken care of first...

I actually have a refractometer. I have found it virtually useless for calculating the gravity post fermentation. I've used many calculators (including Beersmith and Promash) , and many formula's. They were all very inaccurate.

-a.

Why pay an extra $10? The original one also had temperature compensation.

-a.

Actually, the one I linked to was $6 more...

Still, I like Bobby_M's price even better. Plus, supporting someone that's good on this site is worth more money... Even though his is actually less than either on Amazon...

Nice.. is the conversion from Brix to SG complicated, or is there at least a site I can just plugin numbers to?
See http://byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/29-equipment/1343-refractometers for details of the conversion.
I use mine for taking readings during the sparge, and prior to pitching. It gives me good results for Pale Ales. (I brew 90% Pale Ales, so I calibrated it for Pale Ales). If I were to brew a stout or a lager, it may not give me such accurate results without recalibration. (The calibration process involves measuring the brix and the gravity, and adjusting the calibration factor until the converted brix equals the gravity.)

-a.

I have the second refractometer mentioned and it works really well. I was surprised because it was much cheaper than the ones offered on brew sites-- and on a few sites it was the same one. I have had pretty good luck with calculating F.G. with moreflavor's calculator. Most the time it's dead on to my hydrometer reading and when it's not, it's usually off by a few .001's (which can be quite substantial at times).

Specific Gravity on a refractometer would be great.

My refractometer doesn't get out of it's case much. One of the less useful purchases in a career of serial purchasing.

There are refractometers with SG on the scale.

Bobby_M sells one.

Morebeer claims they are developing one with SG that will more closely represent corrected SG

<snip>

I fail to believe that with all this technology there are no digital hydrometer type devices yet, but I've searched and a refractometer is all I can find. It's still leaps and bounds over looking at a bobber in a tube, but a little disappointing that it's the best we can do.

<snip>

For the record, there are digital hydrometers out there. But they tend to be laboratory grade instruments, with price tags in the thousands.

Brian

Why? It's easy enough to use the Morebeer.com Conversion program

Why? Because I'm not always brewing with access to a computer. Or it doesn't make sense to run a program JUST to convert the reading to SG for my OG.

Case and point... On Saturday we were brewing outside, at another location (sponsored brew day) with no computer access. My brew buddy pulled out his refractometer (with SG readings as well as brix) and was able to get the OG of the wort in a matter of a couple of seconds. Super fast, super easy, super accurate... No need to write down the reading, go home (a good distance for both of us), enter the reading into the program, and then mark the sheets...

While it's fermenting, or once it's done fermenting, I'll probably still use a hydrometer. Simply put, I'll want to taste the brew at that time too. So, pulling a sample and using the hydrometer makes sense. I'll probably use the refractometer as well, just to see how the readings compare (using the adjustment tools to get the corrected reading)...

I'd also rather use the refractometer that uses zero batteries. Why? Simple. Nothing to worry about running out of juice. No worry about the batteries corroding if left inside it for too long (have had that happen more than a few times when I don't use something often enough). Also, no need to worry about it getting wet. If you have the digital one, and it gets water on the display, or near any buttons, you run the risk of water getting inside (without knowing how well they're sealed up) and making it useless. I had a digital candy thermometer that was good for about 4 batches before the steam got to be too much for it, and it died. NOT a cheap one either. Next thermometer I get is going to have a long probe on it, made for accuracy, and I'll make sure it doesn't get steam in the electronic part. Basically, I'll probably use a thermowell to check the temp in different parts of what I need a reading of. I might even drill the lid of my kettle so that I can install the thermowell there and not worry about it at all. Could also use it in the mash tun. Probably won't drill any holes in the lid there though, just want to be sure to get readings in more than one spot, without worrying about compromising the thermometer. Of course, I could just use an old school, non-digital, thermometer and not worry about it at all... :eek: :D

Strongly recommend a refractometer with SG on the scale also. I bought one from AHS, and just realized I could have saved a bunch going with Bobby. Oh well, I know for future orders. I have a link on my phone to the conversion from refractometer FG to actual FG (taking into account alcohol). I'll never use a standard hydrometer again. Which is convenient because I broke mine.

I've yet to break my first hydrometer (of course now that I've said it, I'll probably break it today)... I do think that I'll have a refractometer before too long. Or at least be brewing with someone that has one to use.

I'll have to see if there's any software available for the BlackBerry... I don't have an iphone, and don't have any plans to get one.

I do like how much easier it is to use the refractometer... Knowing that you can adjust for alcohol presence in the sample, means you can use it at any point. I probably won't be able to use it for my mead batches, when they start off, since those are off the typical scale (OG's usually in the 1.140+ range)... But, once they start fermenting, I'll be able to use it for readings, saving a good amount of must in the process...

I'm on my 3rd hydrometer now and I've only done two batches. The things are just crazy fragile.

I have a Droid so I can just put the conversion program on that. I think I'm gonna be in for one. I'll let you know how it works out. Think I'll get the one from the guy that posted on this thread to help support people that support HBT.

I'm on my 3rd hydrometer now and I've only done two batches. The things are just crazy fragile.

THREE and you've only brewed two batches?!?! DAAAAAMN... I've brewed 9 batches of beer, and 4 batches of mead, and I'm still on my original one...

I don't think they're crazy fragile, unless you're used to bending rebar all day long (with your bare hands)... :eek:

THREE and you've only brewed two batches?!?! DAAAAAMN... I've brewed 9 batches of beer, and 4 batches of mead, and I'm still on my original one...

I don't think they're crazy fragile, unless you're used to bending rebar all day long (with your bare hands)... :eek:

Hydrometers roll. One day I'll make one with a flat side and make a million $. Duh.

Hydrometers roll. One day I'll make one with a flat side and make a million $. Duh.

No sheit they roll... That's why I don't place them anyplace where they can roll off, fall, and break... :rolleyes: It's pretty easy to have a towel, or paper towel even (wet works well) to place it on when you're not using it, or it's not in it's tube... I keep it out of the way, so that it doesn't get knocked over either.

So, instead of blaming the hydrometer, take the hit for placing it someplace you shouldn't have and suck it up... :eek: I thought the person was man-handling it, or using it as a toothpick... :eek:

No sheit they roll... That's why I don't place them anyplace where they can roll off, fall, and break... :rolleyes: It's pretty easy to have a towel, or paper towel even (wet works well) to place it on when you're not using it, or it's not in it's tube... I keep it out of the way, so that it doesn't get knocked over either.

So, instead of blaming the hydrometer, take the hit for placing it someplace you shouldn't have and suck it up... :eek: I thought the person was man-handling it, or using it as a toothpick... :eek:

Easy chief. I've never broken one (lot more batches than you), but when I do I will partially blame the roundness of the hydro. Nothing made of glass should roll. Period.

Easy chief. I've never broken one (lot more batches than you), but when I do I will partially blame the roundness of the hydro. Nothing made of glass should roll. Period.

Where's my home brew?? :D

I guess that's where we differ... If I place it where it can roll, and it does, and it falls to the floor and breaks... It's MY fault for placing it in such a way that it could happen, and did. Nothing to do with the design of the tool, it's the tool on two legs that messed up... :eek:

"Nothing made of glass should roll. Period" wow... So, all bottles should be made so they can't roll? All glasses should be made so that they can't roll? Would make for a rather boring world, I think... Do you also want to rubber pad the world too?

"Nothing made of glass should roll. Period" wow... So, all bottles should be made so they can't roll? All glasses should be made so that they can't roll? Would make for a rather boring world, I think... Do you also want to rubber pad the world too?

Hydrometer's don't stand up on their own. Bottles, glasses, etc do. I'm not going to discuss this further, but let's just say the design could be improved. I design stuff for a living, so it is my job to make things better. If you can live with the way things are now, good for you.

Hydrometer's don't stand up on their own. Bottles, glasses, etc do. I'm not going to discuss this further, but let's just say the design could be improved. I design stuff for a living, so it is my job to make things better. If you can live with the way things are now, good for you.

Carpenter pencil style. Now that would be an odd looking hydro.

They have thermometer additions that are plastic and triangular. One should fit on the thin end. I don't know if they have them in bigger sizes, but a lab supply place may have something.

"Lay me on something unlevel and I'm headin' to the floor to bust all up in pieces. But thats how I roll, Biotch."
-hydrometer

Or you could just add something to the top that makes it so that it can't roll... Plastic, maybe square shaped, that you could slip onto the top section to stop it from rolling. Or just get with the hydrometer manufacturers and get them to package it already on the unit. They would need to offset their hydrometers for the extra weight of it, so that it could be left on. Doesn't need to be large, just larger than the diameter of the thickest part... Pretty simple design actually.

Then again, if they offer such a thing, then people won't be breaking them so much, so they'll lose sales numbers... :drunk:

Back