A few questions about Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saneus

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not, strictly speaking, a "new" brewer. I've made a few 5-gallon batches in my Poland Spring water jugs, and had to leave them alone for a while for school. Now that I'm looking to restart, I'd like to put some of my practices under this forum's scrutiny to refine my process, which I have become rusty at.

1. My airlock is a clear plastic tube sealed onto the top of the Poland Spring glass bottle. I then clamp the end of this tube into a pot of water, so that it should only allow CO2 to escape without letting air in. Besides the fact that this is not a properly manufactured airlock - is there anything wrong with this setup? Is there any other easily jerry-rigged airlock that could do better? And yes, I understand that my bottles will leak minute amounts of oxygen into my drink - I've come to terms with this :D

2. To cut down on costs, I use several 5-lb bottles of honey from the local low-grade supermarket per batch. They are store-brand. My understanding has consistently been to boil the hell out of this honey (while stirring to prevent caramelization) to scum off waxes and preservatives and chemicals and etc... With honey of this sort, would there be any advantage to NOT boiling the hell out of it? Does anyone know of a different, cheap source of higher-quality honey in NYC?

3. I only use recipes for water-honey ratios, as well as to generally understand how much of a particular ingredient might be appropriate in a 5-gallon batch. I've generally experimented with a wide array of different spices, putting no less than 10 of my choice into any batch I make. I've lately started noticing that mead (and wine recipes in general) ask for a rather simple blend of spices, asking for no more than 3 or 4 different types. Is there a disadvantage to using a broader mix? Chemical interactions I should avoid?

4. I am intrigued by the thought of experimenting with fruit-flavored meads, but do not understand the recipe/portion ratios behind them. By how much should I decrease the amount of honey in my wort if I am adding fruit sugars? Should I peel them? How much fruit should I add? What if the fruit is not the sweetest? I read in one place that freezing a fruit to break up its cell walls may improve the taste in the final product, but also that exposing the juices in the fruit to oxygen too early will oxidize the juices. I am stoopid at chemistry, and so I cannot make a judgment on my own in this case.

Thank you very much, everyone! I am looking to get back into brewing, and want to start on a better foot, as I am aware that my current setup is sub-par. I will improve it when my money allows me to.

1. One thing you can do is buy some one gallon glass jugs of apple jouice, make a batch of hard cider in your Poland Spring bottle and then have five one gallon carboys for test batches of mead. Stopers and airplocks x5 is way cheaper than all that honey.

2. I don't boil my honey at all. I heat it to 140°F in some of the water Iam going touse and hold it at 140°F for 40 minutes. Low slow Pasteurization. Probably amttersmore with expensive varietal honey (Mesquite, orange blossom and etc) but might as well practice on the cheap stuff. good quality honey is expensive anywhere/ everywhere.

3. Depends on your palate. Benedictine liquer is supposed to have 140 some herbs and spices in it, tastes like horse liniment to me.

4. Coarsley chopped and frozen ought to be fine for good quality fruited meads. These aren't recipes you are going to knock out in days or weeks, AFAIK good quality complex meads take at least a couple months and usually longer. Freezing the fruit will rupture the walls of each cell so the yeast can get to the sugars inside. Coarse chopping will make the most hidden ruptured cells easier for the yeast to get to.

As far as honey to fruit ratio, you are limited by what alcohol content your yeast can handle.

Back