Yuri's Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brain is working WAY faster than my hands right now. After being jealous of BrewPastor's altar and envying Jester's keezer build, I decided to put some ideas down on virtual paper. I have a 15 cu ft Kenmore chest freezer awaiting transformation to a 6-9 tap keezer (it holds 8 or 9 Cornelius kegs and is tall enough to work without a collar). It will double as a bar, jutting out peninsula-style from the adjoining wall. For that reason, BP's and Jester's designs don't work well. I considered putting the taps on an octagonal pedestal in the dead center of the bar top, but every iteration of that design just looked awkward. So, I settled on a design with the taps on one end. The cabinet will be about 10" longer than the freezer itself to accommodate a 20 lb CO2 cylinder and a 40 cu ft Nitrogen (or Argon) cylinder. A couple of fans will facilitate cooling/circulation for the compressor. Temperature control will be courtesy of a Ranco ETC-111000.

keezer.jpg

Can you tell I REALLY liked Jester's design? I even plan on using rope lighting under the taps in a similar manner. Nice job, Jester!

Yuri; your keezer is exactly what i've been looking for in design not wanting a collar plus the capacity to handle my corny's as I plan on 10 and 15 gallon corny brew batches. I have four 20# Co2 bottles, but could not pass up a owner owned 150 cu/ft Argon bottle for $30. That will be a problem for my stouts unless in the wash room with a gas line to the keezer.
Will you post dimensions on this build once tou get started? I'm very intrested
in your build. This is what I had in mind on many notes as a single unit with a bar above.
I now know now not mention my dislikes for collars as I received not to favorable replies by many members. That was cool we all have our different ideas and designs. This one you just posted please add your progress reports and pictures as this would be a design I would like to follow and build.
I have a spare granite top that's perfect but would need a big crew to lift off, (bad back here), I was thinking of adding a spill rail around it.
You must add a brass foot rail at the bottom.
Carl..........

Some details:

White Kenmore 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer
Sears item #04616542000
Mfr. model #1654

Freezer dimensions:
48" long x 27.5" wide x 35" tall

Proposed bar top dimensions:
64" long x 39.5" wide

The farthest reach will be less than 20".

How close are your taps? The tap collars are ~2.5", which comes out to 20" if everything is touching. On 3" centers (what seems to be the closest spacing with a reasonable amount of room) the reach comes to 24" from the closest tap (which is longer considering the closest tap is not at the edge of the bar).

Tap collars??? The faucets/shanks I have only require a brass lock nut about 1" in diameter. In the drawing, the taps are on 2-5/8" centers, and the pedestal is 25" at its widest. No matter what, the reach to the center tap (remember, you can stand on both sides of the bar) will not be greater than half of the entire width of the 39.5" bar top...

Thanks Yuri for the added information.
later can you post the tap tower build
when it's under construction and completed?
Will a small computer fan be needed for the
tap coffin even with the bottom being fully open
and a large rectangle of area with the liquid lines?
I'll be following this build with great intrest.

I'm envisioning about a 2-3" hole for the beer lines. I'll probably put a fan in the freezer and duct it into the tower. I had great success with a similar system in my kegerator.

Tap collars??? The taps I have only require a brass lock nut about 1" in diameter. In the drawing, the taps are on 2-5/8" centers.

That makes sense. The word I was looking for was shank flange (black plastic on the outside end of the shank). All of my shanks have them, and it would look funny if they were on 2.5" centers because they would touch.

P7120096.jpg

Yeah...the word is...I have too many ideas and too little time. It'll get done, but I need to finish the brew hut, brew rig, and some odd jobs before this one gets any more attention.

I know what you mean. I have everything for my brewery planned and drawn up, but no money or time to get it done. It is soooo frustrating! I just need a week off and some stimulus money and I would be set :D

My only suggestion after my version of the famous Tap box on top Keezer, Split the lid so the tap box doesn't get lifted with the lid.

I use argon with my stout faucet. It's much the same as nitrogen (in terms of its properties relative to liquid solubility and pressure), and it's readily available since I weld. It's a little more expensive than nitrogen, but I'd rather have argon on hand since it's a "multitasker" (to quote Alton Brown) in my house/garage.

IP - I just might split the lid as you suggest!

After lifting yet another keg into my chest freezer, I've decided I'll never build one again. An upright may be harder to get to "look good," but it's a real PITA lifting kegs in and out of a chest freezer. YMMV.

The last 10g corny I lifted into a freezer by myself will be the last one, next time I'm getting help. Maybe in the future I should rack into the empty keg already in the freezer, so I don't have to lift more than 5g at a time.

Argon is a multi tasker. :mug::mug:
Can I use that quote for my sig line, to funny!!

How close are your taps? The tap collars are ~2.5", which comes out to 20" if everything is touching. On 3" centers (what seems to be the closest spacing with a reasonable amount of room) the reach comes to 24" from the closest tap (which is longer considering the closest tap is not at the edge of the bar).

As Clint Eastwood wold say; "Mans Got to know his limits", for me I will be able to reach out or extend an arm 24" to pull a tap handle when there is a bier handy. The other plan is the one by Jester with the coffin box running the same length as the keezer with it against the wall. Many options before the final build allows time to think it out.

Phase one has begun: Ranco control and a picnic tap.

keezer01.jpg

I'm not sure when I'll get to start working on the more aesthetic aspects, but I haven't forgotten about the project!

Yuri, I think you may not like the taps to the side after using this for a while, but to each his own. What if you turned it outboard, but still kept it to the end of the counter? Alternatively, you could go with one of those mushroom style "roundabout" taps.....it'd still give you access from all angles....plus you could shine 'er up real pretty...:D

This is the first time I've come across this thread, and I have to say the keezer-as-a-bar concept is brilliant. Throw a half dozen bar stools around it and you're in business. This is giving me ideas...

First post here and thanks for all of the wonderful information so far. I have a similar design in mind for my first keezer I am building for my new house. Here is a pic of the sketchup draft.

Keezer2.jpg

The top will extend about six inches on all sides (sans the back) to accomodate four people sitting. This can also be used as a countertop for entertaining. The chest freezer I will be converting is the 8.8 c/ft one from lowes.
Thanks in advance for all of the assitance I'm sure I will need. I also plan to take plenty of photos and might even put my "flip video recorder" to use in hopes that by the time im finished I can help give back some of the knowledge that I have received.

Work has finally begun on this thing! It always takes me forever to bring my ideas to fruition...family, work, etc come first.

I'm going to start by just building and attaching the coffin. The bar top and sides will likely wait for a while...potentially another year or two :D

For now, here's a test piece with a CNC routed mural (the stain is intentionally still wet - hopefully to show some contrast). The design will go on the vertical sides of the coffin.

p1030628.jpg

I hope to have all of the pieces ready for assembly today.

Sheesh, I'm glad I'm not the only one around here that has family, work, etc. get in the way of brewing projects. Looks good though!

Not as much progress as I'd hoped, but the barley/hops design turned out well. I still have one side to engrave before I can assemble things.

I love the engraving. Does the contrast stand out better after the stain/finish dries? It would be a shame for all that detail to fade into the backgound.

Back