Brew Rig Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
Below is a plan of a brew rig I am planning on doing this winter, I will am trying to get it done with just one pump and a lot of valves. Let me know if looks okay (that is if you can read it and understand it). Any input would be much appreciated. Also, do you usually have a burner below your MLT? If so, will that scorch the grains on the bottom and only heat up the bottom portion of the mash? I plan on doing a recirculation on the mash periodically thoughout it. :mug:

BREWSCULPTURE.jpg

wouldn't you want the wort to come out of the BK, go through the chiller, then into the fermenter? the way I'm looking at the schematic it shows wort coming into the chiller from the pump, but then it goes into the BK. other than that, looks pretty sound

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. It should come out of the bottom of the BK, thru the chiller and directly into the fermenter, no?

Oh wait, I think I got it. It comes out of the BK, down around and back thru the pump, than pumped thru the chiller back into the BK and out the second time into the fermenter.

But does it need to go back into the BK that second time? Is that in case you want to rerun it through the chiller?

Oh wait, I think I got it. It comes out of the BK, down around and back thru the pump, than pumped thru the chiller back into the BK and out the second time into the fermenter.

But does it need to go back into the BK that second time? Is that in case you want to rerun it through the chiller?

I have it going from the brew kettle, through the chiller, then back into the brew kettle so I can sanitize the cooler with hot wort. Also, if i circulate it while cooling it aireates the wort :drunk:

I have it going from the brew kettle, through the chiller, then back into the brew kettle so I can sanitize the cooler with hot wort. Also, if i circulate it while cooling it aireates the wort :drunk:

Ah, duh. Got it, and I use a immersion chiller yet still forgot about the sanitizing. The aerating as it pours back into the BK did come to mind as well (though too late, after I posted).

Back