Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo220

Reaction score
I have done several searches for a recipe and have struck out. Does anyone have a clone recipe or somthing similar that they would post for me? I really like this beer and its hit and miss finding it here.
Thanks
Kyle:mug:

Hey there. I just made my own from the ingredients I found on their website. I had to search around to see what the consensus was for the IBU rating in that beer (I found folks saying 35-45 IBU). Used Fuggles and EKG for the hops.

The first batch is still in the fermenter, but I've tasted it and it seemed to be pretty good. I plan to do a side-by-side with SS IS once its done.

I can only do 3 gallon batches for all-grain so I converted the recipe to % of grist and IBU terms so you can calculate for your own system.

Here's my recipe:

OG: 1.075
ABV: 7.0%
IBU: 45

86% maris otter
11% roasted malt
3% cane sugar (I used table sugar at the beginning of the boil).

Fuggle 4.5%AA at 80 mins for 29 IBU
EKG 5.5%AA at 30 mins for 10 IBU
EKG 5.5%AA at 15 minutes for 6 IBU

Mash maris otter and roasted malt at 152-154*F for 60 minutes or until starch conversion is complete. Dissolve in sugar as wort heats to boil. Boil for 90 minutes. Ferment with WLP002 English Ale Yeast at 67*F for 3-4 weeks. Bottle condition or keg with 2 vols of CO2.

Back