carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvbrew

Reaction score
I am having trouble keeping beer carbonated regardless of which soda keg I use. The kegs appears to be in good shape (new O rings) and don't appear to have any leaks. Will a bacteria infection prevent beer from staying carbonated?

Nope, bacteria infections would have nothing to do with carbonating beer. The co2 would be dissolved into the water of your beer anyway (which is the majority of your product). After you carbonate your beer how are you treating it in regards to co2?

After carbonation, I reduce the co2 to about 3lbs to pour. Once the beer loses carbonation, I turn the co2 back up to about 10 lbs, but the beer does not seem to ever achieve the original level of carbonation.

How long do you leave it once you turn the pressure back up?

I think it's well worth the effort to balance your system so that you don't have to mess with the pressure to serve.

What's your setup like?

To risk stating the obvious - these kegs are refrigerated the whole time, right? Temperature has a lot to do with the beer's ability to hold carbonation.

I'm betting you're using a picnic tap on about 3-4 feet of 1/4" line..... right? If so, I'd like to pass along some advice I got here .... longer, smaller line and then you can keep you serving pressure up. I run 10-12 psi on 10' of 3/16 line with my picnic taps with no complaints.

Thanks for all of the responses regarding carbonation. Yes the beer is refrigerated, I will try the smaller line etc. I'm am now sure that I can fix the problem. I just wanted to make sure the problem was not a contamination.

Back