Revised Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After I bottle The Imperial Hellfire Ale I'm brewing up an Oatmeal Stout. This is what I'm brewing methinks:

#4 Stout
7.0 lbs Pale malt Extract
1 lb. Flaked oats
2 oz. Black Patent
.5 lb. Roasted barley
.25 lb. Chocolate malt
1 oz Bullion @ 60
1 oz Northern Brewer hops @ 10
Irish Ale Yeast

From what I've learned this should be a pretty good stout. Any suggestions or comments?

I've never tried flaked oats except in a mash. Oats don't have the enzymes to convert starches and there are no enzymes in extract. You might want to add a pound of 2-row and do a mini-mash in a large bag.

I would bump the Chocolate and maybe even the Black Patent up to 1/2 Lb. but that might just be my personal taste.
Other than that it looks tasty.

RichBrewer said:
I would bump the Chocolate and maybe even the Black Patent up to 1/2 Lb. but that might just be my personal taste.
Other than that it looks tasty.
yeah, i was thinking the same thing... maybe a quarter-pound for the black patent, but i'm pretty sure i'd use more than 2oz...

Interesting. I was persuaded to bump it down when I first asked about an Oatmeal Stout recipe.

David, you think I should throw in a lb of 2-row, you think this will convert all the starches for me?

Back