unfermented wort too bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Today I followed a recipe in TCJoHB for a Belgian Tripel. It calls for
6.6 lb of Brewferm hopped LME
2 lb. light DME
1 lb. honey
1 oz. Styrian Goldings hops

I put approx. 1 oz. of hop pellets, and I seem to recall that if you use pellets instead of whole hops you should put a bit less (a lot less?). I tasted the sample I used for my SG reading and it seems quite bitter.

Did I screw up with the hops or will this mellow out as it ferments and ages?

(I did already have a homebrew and am trying to relax and not worry.)

wait.......I just saw you used hopped LME.

The styrian hops should give you about 20 ibu if you did a 60 min one addition.

I'd probably think it was "like freedom in a cup!"

you'll definitely mellow out over time. Shoot, I had my FG sampling and when I drank it I thought to myself, this is what my beer is gonna taste like? Gross, but sure enough I bottled and now 2 1/2 weeks later it's tasting absolutely delicious. As far as your hop question goes, you can add a little less if you like. I'm doing a honey oat stout next that calls for 0.92 oz instead of the standard 1 oz. But what you have to remember is that really hop pellets are actually whole hops in a more manageable form and they are really about the same in IBU as comparing 1 oz of hop flowers and 1 oz of hop pellets. Its just that 1 oz of hop flowers will look like a lot more because they are lighter.

I drank my SG reading from my doppelbock after fermenting for 2 weeks and it was de-frickin-licious. I remember it tasting good when I took my OG reading too. That's why the Belgian worries me a bit. I'm not gonna worry about it too hard, though. I'll start another batch of something else next weekend to help take my mind off it. :)

Latest posts

Back