several harvests in one season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarciasHomeBrew

Reaction score
i read this on the web somewhere and i was jest wondring if it was true

"Keep new shoots pruned until you see hop cones, then let a couple of vines emerge and wind around the existing vines. You'll have another harvest a few weeks after the first. Keep doing this and you can have several harvests in one season."

Where exactly did you see that? That sounds more like it'll split up the nutrients the plant has for available growth from one harvest into two little ones. I had something sorta like that last year with my Nuggets. The 'first' harvest was nice big hop cones, then some more shoots came out later that were disappointing at best.

If you read the article closely, the author never actually did what he was recommending. The growth and blooming of a hop plant is tightly connected to the amount of light available. Training additional bines won't change the timing of the sidearm growth or when the flowers start growing. Think about all of the energy and nutrients that go into growing the bines. The roots have a limited ability to support growth and diverting that to grow more bines will probably cut your harvest.

After the harvest, you can let new bines grow, but that is only for storing energy for the next year.

Yeah, that's just not going to work. It's a light cycle flowering plant - you just can't mess with that.

Not sure if this is common or only because my hops were first year in the ground and went through an early summer drought but my hops had two harvests several weeks apart. I almost got as much from the second harvest as the first. Ofcourse neither harvest was all that much.

Craig

Back