gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big thanks to all on this post. I now am enjoying the clearest Blonde Ale I have ever brewed. I'm not the best photographer but here it is. Thanks again!

Beagle Blonde Ale.jpg

This has been recommended to me before. Never tried it.

But, I just got the absolute worst chill haze from using rye in a blonde ale. I swear I can taste it. I have about 4/5 of a keg and 5g parked in primary.

I think I may just "apply" me some gelatin tomorrow to the primary. And maybe to the keg.

Thanks for answering my unasked questions...

I don't tink geleatin clears up chill haze, if it does I will be happy though. I think the only way to get rid of chill haze is to keep your beer in the firdge for a couple weeks. I put the LD carlson recomended 1/2 tsp in my Apfelwine and it seems to be working to an extent. Very clear on the top then gets hazy again. So I can vouch for Biermuncher telling us to use 1 Tbs.

So I can vouch for Biermuncher telling us to use 1 Tbs.

Wow, that sounds more than excessive. Are you sure he didn't say 1 tsp? :confused:

The recommendation for a 5 gallon batch of beer is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Otherwise, you will remove too many suspended proteins which results in a beer lacking good body. FWIW, I always use 1/4 tsp and my beers sparkle...

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Well, that's what he posted. Didn't look further though to see if there was an update on that amount. At any rate, I previouslly followed the instructions on the JD Carlson bottle but to no avail. Followed BM's instructions and it worked wonders. I suppose I could go back to the 1/4 or 1/2 but I'm just in Barley Pop heaven at the moment!

Trust me:
  • I use a Tbs per five gallons
  • I let the powder sit for 10 minutes to slightly dissolve.
  • I heat the mix over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the gelatin completely disappears...never letting it boil.

If you do this, it will work just fine.

Never throught about removing protients though, ive always tried to remove as much as possible.

Shameless plug for gelatin...

I transferred my Centennial Blonde to secondary Sunday night. The beer had been in primary for a little over two weeks and the gravity was down to 1.003. I added some gelatin to the secondary and the following night, 24 hrs later, the beer in secondary was crystal clear. I had only used it once before, but now I'm convinced. I'll be using it on any beer that I want to be pleasing to the eye.

Newb question:

Should the gelatin be used a couple of days before racking to the keg? Can a person rack from the primary to the secondary, and add the gelatin into the secondary just after the racking?

For those of us who do not use a secondary and just leave our beers in the bucket for four weeks: Can gelatin be added to the primary fermenter prior to bottling?

For those of us who do not use a secondary and just leave our beers in the bucket for four weeks: Can gelatin be added to the primary fermenter prior to bottling?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. Just be sure to add it a couple of days prior to bottling and, if possible, cold crash it.

I have read all 9 pages of this thread. Some great info, but i can't figure out when to add priming sugar for bottling. Has anyone fined their batch and then carbonated in the bottles?

Should I add the priming sugar with the gelatin? Before? A couple days after?

If I add the priming sugar after, won't I stir things back up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You add the priming sugar at the time you bottle. Otherwise, the sugar gets eaten by the yeast and all the carbonation goes out your airlock. You use the finings at least a couple days or more before.

The gelatin may drop out some of the yeast, but as long as there is some yeast left, it will carbonate. In theory, it might take longer, but I have not noticed a big difference.

Thanks Neuron555. I had a feeling that was the case. I have done this before, but I am trying to improve the process as I haven't had spectacular results.

My main goal has been to reduce sediment. The most recent time, the beer was pretty clear, and the sediment was pretty manageable, but i had had a bit of a... skin on top that seemed gelatin related... I am not really sure. I still bottled it after some skimming, and it tasted fine and didn't seem to have any adverse reactions.

My worry was to reduce amount of contact with air and to keep better covered this time while in process.

Last time. i racked into secondary, added gelatin, let sit for about 3-4 days. Then I racked back to primary to get it off of the sediment I was trying to remove... but then I racked back to secondary onto the priming sugar since it has the nozzle. Seems a little ludicrous...

So this time, I am just leaving in secondary and adding sugar directly to bottles...

I have read all 9 pages of this thread. Some great info, but i can't figure out when to add priming sugar for bottling. Has anyone fined their batch and then carbonated in the bottles?

Should I add the priming sugar with the gelatin? Before? A couple days after?

If I add the priming sugar after, won't I stir things back up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should add your priming sugar (dissolved in a small amount of boiled water) to the bottling bucket at bottling time. You use a separate bottling bucket, right? If not, it's worth the investment.

I'm going to do my first Gelatin trials with 10 gallons of a Fat Tire clone. They're already in kegs, so I'll just add to the kegs hopefully tonight. The first will have a few days to claer before there's room in the keezer for it, and the second will have even log until the firs this gone. Then my second trial will be done BEFORE racking to keg with the my Campfire Poter that's fermenting now.

Anybody added the gelatin as you rack into the bottling bucket? Since the bottles will be chilled in the fridge anyway, it seems to me that this would be the easiest thing to do if it does not create some sort of problem.

I have a batch of wheat beer (my first all grain using bag method) which was very cloudy. I added warm gelatin to a secondary and transferred the primary to the secondary. I thought I would take a gravity reading and it was at 1.028 after fermenting for 3 and 1/2 weeks. Of course I was very dissapointed to have such a high FG but then remembered the warm gelatin would rise to the top of the fermenting bottle. Hence my Question.

I turned my fermenting refridgerator down to 50 deg with the idea of taking another reading in about 4 days to see what I have then.

Paul

In theory, I suppose the gelatin could transiently raise the gravity, but the amount added would be trivial. Once it settles, then I would not expect it to make any difference.

The yeast profile plays a big role in the flavor profile of a proper wheat/hefe/wit. Gelatin would be stripping it of it's intended character.

My gelatin experiment. I pulled two growlers off a cloudy keg that had been in cold storage at 35F for a month. The first picture is after I filled the growler, the second picture is after 33 hours. It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but the second one really is crystal clear.

Time = 0
3708239735_f557856dbb.jpg

Time = 33 hrs
3712961212_69c6b8a107.jpg

Here's the beer in a glass after gelatin:
3823342782_b299a88c78.jpg

I've got a Cream Ale in secondary right now. Clarity is average but not brilliant, like the style calls for.

Let me see if I get the steps right (and in the right order/timing):
1. Boil about a cup of water.
2. Let water cool to 170F.
3. Add gelatin and let dissolve.
4. Heat 5-7 minutes over meadium heat to let gelatin "bloom".
5. Pour gelatin mixture into the secondary carboy.
6. Using long paddle spoon, stir gently once or twice.
7. At least 2 or 3 days later, bottle/keg as usual.

Is there a limit at step #7 after which the beer can be sitting too long on the gelatin?

Is the consensus that gelatin doesn't affect flavor?

Thanks!

I've got a Cream Ale in secondary right now. Clarity is average but not brilliant, like the style calls for.

Let me see if I get the steps right (and in the right order/timing):
1. Boil about a cup of water.
2. Let water cool to 170F.
3. Add gelatin and let dissolve.
4. Heat 5-7 minutes over meadium heat to let gelatin "bloom".
5. Pour gelatin mixture into the secondary carboy.
6. Using long paddle spoon, stir gently once or twice.
7. At least 2 or 3 days later, bottle/keg as usual.

Is there a limit at step #7 after which the beer can be sitting too long on the gelatin?

Is the consensus that gelatin doesn't affect flavor?

Thanks!

It can't really sit too long on the gelatin. I'd give it at least 4 days. Also, the colder the beer is the better. Get it under 40 if you can.

I don't really have a way to chill my beers before kegging. Does that mean I just need to let it sit longer?

I don't really have a way to chill my beers before kegging. Does that mean I just need to let it sit longer?

It just won't be quite as effective. And, yes, you can use plain old grocery store unflavored gelatin. It's exactly the same as you would get in your LHBS.

Trust me:
  • I use a Tbs per five gallons
  • I let the powder sit for 10 minutes to slightly dissolve.
  • I heat the mix over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the gelatin completely disappears...never letting it boil.

If you do this, it will work just fine.

I want to try the gelatin for the first time. I tried crash cooling Centennial Blond and its still to cloudy in carboy. My question to you is can I add the mixture (your directions) to cold brew as I rack to keg?

Gelatin in the keg works great. After three days pour two pints of sludge and the rest will be crystal clear.

What's more effective, Irish Moss or gelatin?

You can't compare Irish Moss and gelatin. Both do different things to the beer, and are used at different points in the process. Irish Moss is a kettle fining. For simplicity, it coagulates proteins and helps form a better cold break. I prefer whirlfloc. It usually produces a crystal clear wort.

Gelatin is a cold side fining. The gelatin aids in yeast flocculation and can precipitate out some other haze issues in the final beer.

Some people find that using a product like Whirlfloc creates a clear beer. In case it doesn't, gelatin, other finings, or even filtering (which all do slightly different things) will help clarity.

I read through this thread and I have a question that was only slightly addressed. I read that for a heff flavor was lost. I am thinking about using this on my Belgin Pumpkin Ale, but I do not want to lose spice flavor. I would rather have a hazy or cloudy beer than lose spice. Has anyone used this on a spice beer and seen a negative decrease in flavor other than what would happen over time anyway?

I read through this thread and I have a question that was only slightly addressed. I read that for a heff flavor was lost. I am thinking about using this on my Belgin Pumpkin Ale, but I do not want to lose spice flavor. I would rather have a hazy or cloudy beer than lose spice. Has anyone used this on a spice beer and seen a negative decrease in flavor other than what would happen over time anyway?

I think it all depends on WHEN you add spice and how often. I plan to use whirfloc as well as gelatin in my pumpkin ale this time around. You could always add a spice tea before you keg or bottle to make sure certain spices stand out. In my case, i used WLP002 which Flocculates like a Ninja! :ban:, so it was pretty clear. I assume that you are using belgian yeast?

I've used it on my winterfest which is spiced with clove, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. It had both some boil additions, as well as in the primary once OG had been achieved. Gelatin was added, set for two days, then cold crashed.

Beer was crystal clear and there was absolutely no evidence of decreased spice flavor. In fact I just had one in July (Eight months in bottles) and the spice flavors were still quite evident... not "mellowed" but more "melded".

Bottom line: use it, but make sure your fermentation is complete. My $0.02

:mug:

Thanks so much for a quick reply. I am thinking of putting it in the keg tomorrow I will probably add the gelatin when I do so. I want to get it in the keg and away from any oxygen because I only have a bucket so some air was contacting and I got a little bit of a film so I will do the cold fining in the keg.

Thanks again for the input.

My questions is can I still wrangle those yeasts on the bottom of my secondary if I add gelatin? Also, I'm in the process of building my kegerator and have a Belgian White sitting in the secondary for about three weeks and I'm planning to let it sit in there for another week or until I get my kegerator parts in the mail. Do yall think this is a good time for me to try the gelatin out? I think it would be a cool experiment to have a clear White beer.

Back