gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my understanding that unflavored gelatin will serve the same purpose.

Use it in the secondary. Most people use one full knox pack, whatever that is. It is much cheaper to buy in bulk though if you think you will use it.

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer.

Ok, I think I have screwed myself. I want clear beer by Friday night. Right now it looks like mud. I boiled the gelatin for 10 mintues and dumped it in my keg. What can I do now to clean it up?

Thanks.

use another pack. It will take a few days though. It may take more time than you have, but it should clear it up some. Not sure if there are other things you can try that will be faster.

I boil the water first and then let it cool a bit before adding the gelatin. You need to let it sit for awhile to "bloom" and then heat gently to get as much as possible dissolved but DO NOT boil. I add it gently to my secondary and then crash chill the whole thing down to the 30's. The beer will be crystal clear in 3-4 days. And yes it will still bottle carbonate as there is still enough yeast in solution.

GT

I used gelatin for the first time on my last batch just to see if I would like it. I used one knox gelatin package in each of my kegs. I did not hydrate the gelatin and maybe that was a big mistake, I just dumped it in and let the racking rip.

With this method, I was not impressed at all. The beer did clear but not more than it would have given a couple of weeks just sitting undisturbed, and I had coagulated gelatin in my beer pours all the way to the end of both kegs :( I would get tiny granules at the bottom of the glass....

Let me know if this was because of the way I added or if this is normal. I might be willing to try again if my technique was at fault.

...I used one knox gelatin package in each of my kegs. I did not hydrate the gelatin and maybe that was a big mistake, I just dumped it in and let the racking rip.

...I had coagulated gelatin in my beer pours all the way to the end of both kegs :( I would get tiny granules at the bottom of the glass....

It is vital to mix with preheated (nearly but not quite boiling) water and let it completely dissolve.

Without this step, the gelatin is not soluble and has no chance of doing it's job properly. The gelatin you added was probably to cool beer and it just fell straight to the bottom of the keg.

If you're going to go straight to the keg with gelatin, prepare for a deeper yeast cake. I took my dip tubes out and gave them a sharper bend so they were about 1/2 inch off the bottom.

I was very happy with using gelatin in the secondary after hydrating. My IPA wasn't clearing at all (I forgot my irish moss in the boil), so I added the gelatin a couple of days before racking. It worked great!

Thanks guys! I always use a secondary for a cleaning tank. Next time, I will try this again, I'll dissolve and hydrate properly and add the my secondary.

I am happy to hear it was my mistake not a lackluster product!

Thanks guys! I always use a secondary for a cleaning tank. Next time, I will try this again, I'll dissolve and hydrate properly and add the my secondary.

I am happy to hear it was my mistake not a lackluster product!

A full pack of Knox was too much. 1/2 pack per 5 gallons is more than enough.

Rudeboy

speaking of gelatin, I have been meaning to ask what people think about this:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/liebers-unflavored-jel.htm
I have a few vegan friends and would hate to say that my beer had animal products in it. Personally I don't really give much of a s"&$ and I have been wanting to try the gelatin trick, but it would be nice not to have a disclaimer on my beers.
-ander

speaking of gelatin, I have been meaning to ask what people think about this:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/liebers-unflavored-jel.htm
I have a few vegan friends and would hate to say that my beer had animal products in it. Personally I don't really give much of a s"&$ and I have been wanting to try the gelatin trick, but it would be nice not to have a disclaimer on my beers.
-ander

If you look at the nutrition label on that stuff it has 21 grams of carbohydrates, 20 grams of which is sugar, in 1/4 packet. That's 80 grams of sugar in a whole packet. Normal gelatin has 0 carbs. I would bet that the yeast would just have a picnic on that stuff. Probably would not work.

Knox gelatin works just fine (haha.) disolve in h20 just like you would for any food recipe, except boil the h20 and let it cool before adding powered gelatin - about a tablespoon for 5 gal brew.

just did a wheat beer, which can be cloudy anyway, and forgot to add i-moss. it was totally cloudy after 3 days in the secondary. just poured about a cup of dissolved gelatin on top and stirred lightly. within 24 hours, was cleared almost completely.

I have a few vegan friends and would hate to say that my beer had animal products in it.
living in the heart of cattle country here in Colorado...I don't know a lot of vegans...and being a cattle producer as well as an avid hunter / fisher / enjoyer of red meat everywhere...I don't think they'd like me if I did...but isn't yeast a living organism?

Bringing this back form the dead. I just picked up two 1oz packs of Gelatin Finings from Northern Brewer. They are made by LD Carlson. The instructions on the bottle list mixing 1/2 TSP per 5 gallons, soak in cold water for an hour and then boil to disolve.

Everyone here says do not boil....I am thoroughly confused.

Bringing this back form the dead. I just picked up two 1oz packs of Gelatin Finings from Northern Brewer. They are made by LD Carlson. The instructions on the bottle list mixing 1/2 TSP per 5 gallons, soak in cold water for an hour and then boil to disolve.

Everyone here says do not boil....I am thoroughly confused.

Trust me:
  • I use a Tbs per five gallons
  • I let the powder sit for 10 minutes to slightly dissolve.
  • I heat the mix over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the gelatin completely disappears...never letting it boil.

If you do this, it will work just fine.

Hi all -

Would you advise against adding gelatin to my keg of recently force-carbed beer?

I racked to the keg this past Monday, let it sit under 30psi for two days, and now lowered to serving pressure. My beer isn't very clear, so I'm thinking I might throw in some gelatin.

Thanks!

Hi all -

Would you advise against adding gelatin to my keg of recently force-carbed beer?

I racked to the keg this past Monday, let it sit under 30psi for two days, and now lowered to serving pressure. My beer isn't very clear, so I'm thinking I might throw in some gelatin.

Thanks!

It would be fine, but a few considerations:
  • Make sure to add the mix gently. You don't want to introduce oxygen into the beer and you don't want the beer to foam up.
  • If you have a long paddle, I would dip it gently into the keg and give just one slow swirl. Be very slow about it though...you don't want violent foaming.
  • You're going to loose a bit of CO2 but it will re-balance after about a day at serving PSI. I wouldn't crank it up to try and re-force it.
  • Your beer will continue to run a bit cloudy, but should move past the chill haze phase much faster. Just don't expect the first few pints to be perfect.

Mine cleaned up in two days. The first time, I boiled and it didn't work. The second time, I did as BierMuncher described and it worked like a champ. I got a LOT of slug, but after that cleaered, it was extreamly clear.

How long can gelatin sit in the secondary? I'm using it for the first time either tonight or tomorrow because I forgot to add irish moss to the boil. Does cold crashing help the gelatin or will I not even have to bother?

How long can gelatin sit in the secondary? I'm using it for the first time either tonight or tomorrow because I forgot to add irish moss to the boil. Does cold crashing help the gelatin or will I not even have to bother?
You'll see the effects of gelatin inside of 48 hours.

There's no "max" time for letting the beer sit. Crash chilling will always help all beer clear better/faster, gelatin or not.

OK so I followed BierMuncher's method and when I was doing it I paid more attention to the method and not so much the amount - I ended up using a whole packet of Knox gelatin and now I have this sort of jello thing going on in the bottom of my bottles. Will it be OK as long as I'm careful when pouring the beer into a glass?

It'll be fine.

For one..it is flavorless. Plus, since it's gelled, it's not soluble in the beer.

It might as well be a marble laying on the bottom of the fermenter.

I used BM's method and it worked amazingly well. I went from 3 weeks in primary, added the gelatine as BM describes and then crash cooled at 38 for 10 days, then racked to corny and force carbed as BM also describes, 3 days 30 PSI and 1/2 day at 12PSI. Worked like a charm, best, clearest beer I've ever crafted, enjoyed by ALL.

Back