20 Facts You Should Know About Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
In researching another topic, I came across this article from BYO Magazine's web site. It's a great primer for the beginner, and a good distillation of the myriad of advice and information on brewing for more experienced brewers:

http://***********/feature/487.html

10. There is no substitute for a hard, rolling boil.
There are many good reasons to employ a solid, rolling boil for a minimum of 30 minutes. A strong boil ensures sanitization by killing any bacteria present. Compounds in hops responsible for bittering are isomerized and drawn into the final solution. And a strong boil is crucial in creating an effective "hot break," in which proteins that might otherwise cloud up or haze the finished beer are coagulated into particles that can easily drop out of suspension. The steam that escapes from a vigorous boil carries with it several volatile aromatic compounds that can create unpleasant sulfury aromas in the finished beer ÷ if they are not driven off.

Funny how my LHBS always says that you should not boil your wort too hard. Just have a nice easy rolling boil. I have read many posts here to say that boil hard for the heat break. I have yet to try it for my brew pot is only 18 qt. I just might have to upgrade now;)

Back