Single Malt and Single Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been threatening to do it for I while.
Today is the Day.
A single malt and a single hop for a Single malt beer.
Marris Otter and Fuggles. What else.:rockin:The best combination ever.;)
I think I'll go for a 4% medium temp mash with balance bitterness.

I'm considering making my next 3 batches like this one at 4% one at 5% and one at over 6%.
I want to get back to basics (not that I've strayed far) to enable me to get my technique honed.

single_malt_bottle.jpg

Brewed using Golden Promise malt. Grown in the north, it is one of the oldest varieties of brewing barley and one that has also been popular with whisky distillers. This full flavoured Malt combines with our fine English hops to produce a smooth, mellow beer with a flavour that is subtly different from any other, but as distinctive as a single malt whisky.

Following the KISS principle.

Single malt variety
Single hop variety
Single Infusion
Single Stage fermentation
image1iu8.jpg

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Single Malt Ale Brewer: Orfy
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain Taste:

Batch Size: 23.02 L Boil Size: 30.53 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge.
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
Add 13.05 L of water at 75.0 C 68.0 C 60 min

Now if we could only get all the new brewers to do this...

I'm assuming you'll be using your usual Nottingham yeast.

I'm getting ready to head into lager season here soon (my crawl space is down to 50F). To dial in my process I'm planning on repeatedly brewing a Munich Helles, 90% pilsner malt, 10% munich and one addition of a noble german hop...

GT

I'm just finishing it now.

I hit my pre boil OG on the nose.
I think I overshot my boil by maybe 0.5L to 1L.
I'll take a gravity reading soon.

Yes I'm going to treat this to a fresh un-hydrated Nottingham.

My pilsner was that simple.

German Pilsner
Saaz

I had a good bit of late hops in there, so there's plenty of hop flavor.

Let us know how it turns out.

Orfy, seems like you are doing what most of us are going to be doing next year. Especially with hop and grain prices going up. As for your back to basic recipes I'll bet they'll make a great house ale. Keep us posted.

You've inspired me orfy. :) I'm a huge fan of UK-bred styles and looking to start buying in bulk. I've got a bit of Fuggles around, so now I can pull the trigger on a sack of MO.

Great learning base too. :)

I searched far and wide for Fuggles while the HBS's were still selling hops one pound at a time. No joy here. Sounds like a terrific brew.

Tomorrow this will have been in the fermenter for 2 weeks.
The Krausen has not dropped (first time I've had this) but I'm sure it's done. I'll check the gravity before continuing.

I'm seriously considering splitting this into batches and experimenting further.

#1. Plain leave for a further 2 weeks the bottle.
#2. Add a way out (for me) ingredient like orange peel or spices like coriander. I may even further subdivide so I can do a few. I like the idea of singe malt whisky (maris otter) soaked oak.
#3. Add further fermentables and actually use a true secondary fermenting vessel.
#4. bottle now and use it to compare with #1
#5 ??????????

Know anyone coming to the states in March? Have them bring over a box and meet up with one of us and we'll have a box for them to bring back.

I'm quite new to brewing, and really new to AG brewing.(2 batches) I really like the idea of becoming familier with base malts and hop combinations and was wondering what opinions people have about what my first single hop, single malt recipe should be. Obviously it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm interested in what others would recommend. For my first try at this I am aiming for an OG of 1.050 and around 25 IBU's. As for the ingredients at my disposal, I have...

Base malt, US 2 row

EKG
Saaz
Hallertau
Cluster
Chinook
Perle
Fuggles
Willamette
Liberty
Cascade

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!

That's one thing I really like about the Fresh Hop fests, most of the brews are single hop (although probably not single malt).

10 lbs rahr 2-row, and 1.5 oz of galena hops added at 90 min, 10 min, and 2 min.
What does everyone think of this to much or not enough of something..

Sounds good to me. I've done close to the same thing in the Styrian Stunner.

Except I used Maris Otter and Stryian Glondings. Came out fantastic

Ender
-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

Orfy, is this your "SMaSH" recipe? I know you can't do swappies...maybe this was the inspiration for SMaSH? Let us know how it turns out anyway...I just brewed my version (Munich 10L + EKG) on Wednesday, and it's fermenting away right now.

Orfy, I'm very interested to hear how it tastes. I'm brewing tonight and not sure what too brew.(either an English IPA, an oatmeal stout, or a single malt single hop beer.) My decision rests on the outcome of your tasting today.(no pressure)

If I brew the "SMaSH" I'll be using Canadian two row and I'm not sure what hops. Let me know if it'll be a waste of time or if there's anything I should be doing to make it tasty.

Enjoy your tasting!

brucepepper, go for it.

I give it a thumbs up.
I'm VERY happy with it. I was half expecting something a little bland that needed building on.

I've just racked to a keg and give it 40psi to seal.
I've taken a hydrometer sample which I'll leave to degass.
I've taken a glass to sample and dropped the pressure to 20 psi and I'll leave it for a few days.

This is a very nicely hopped pale ale. I'm actually very impressed and would class this as a quality Ale if served it in a pub.

I will be brewing this again.
Infact I'm going to see if the hydro sample is degassed and I'm taking another taster.

If you guys doing the SMaSH brews have picked complimentary grains and hops I think you'll be pleased.

Imagine a freshly cut field of grass on a sunny day smelling of beer.
That's what it is like.

I've just had my second glass.
when I analyse it further I miss some of the things I like to build into my beers but that doesn't detract from it, it just means it's not like the rest of my recipes.
I think if you where trying to brew a beer like this you could do a better job with a more complex recipe but that is not the point.
I'm off to buy a bottle of Marstons single malt and do a side by side.

Don't forget this is Green flat beer....I'll know more in 2-4 weeks.

Orf, how would you define these "complementary" pairings? Do you have a chart or sumthin? ;)

I think Munich and EKG will be interesting, actually. And just because I couldn't help myself, I pitched T-58. :D

You know Rogue did a SMaSH awhile back? They used Special Aromatic malt and Mt. Ranier hops. Called it 'Latona 20th Anniversary'. I had it on tap at Capitol Ale House and it was freakin amazing. That's why I was/am optimistic about this experiment.

Thanks orfy.

I've gone ahead and brewed my own version using Canadian two row and EKG. I don't know if it'll turn out as well as your MO & fuggles combo, but either way I'll learn something. Thanks for the insightful comments and advice.

Yeah, I would have preffered to try something like MO, vienna, or munich but I didn't have enough on hand. A grain mill is my next purchase, then I'll be able to keep bulk grain around.

orfy said:
I'm not sure if 2 row is as complex as MO but it's worth doing.

Might do something similar for my next batch, although, I only have UK 2-Row and I think it may be a little bland by itself. Maybe a decoction, probably only to mash out, could give it a little more?

Ender said:
Sounds good to me. I've done close to the same thing in the Styrian Stunner.

Except I used Maris Otter and Stryian Glondings. Came out fantastic

Ender
-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

This is my favorite way to make an ale. I will often dry hop it with fuggles or styrian goldings.

denimglen said:
Might do something similar for my next batch, although, I only have UK 2-Row and I think it may be a little bland by itself. Maybe a decoction, probably only to mash out, could give it a little more?

I was sorely tempted to decote with the last batch I did but I really want to continue to brew with this base wort so I can learn how it tastes in different circumstances.

My next brew could well be the MOFU 1045 25 wort but I will decote and see how it adds to it.

I've just written up the recipe for my SMaSH brew that I'll do within the next few days - UK Pale and Pacific Jade, 1.047 21 IBU.

I was thinking of decocting but then decided to leave it and decoct on the next one if it lacks in the malt area. Hopefully it still makes a good, easy drinking blonde.

I changed from my original intention just a bit. I used 12 pounds of us 2 row and just over 3 oz of hops at 90, 20, and 2 minutes respectively. My OG came out at 1.050 and it is eagerly bubbling away as we speak. 90 minute boils in North Dakota in the winter should be out lawed we will be calling this one frozen for the cause.

I'd like if if brewers could list the SMaSH brews they've done and if the combination worked.
Is there a SMaSH wiki article? If not I'll make one with some input.

I'd like if if brewers could list the SMaSH brews they've done and if the combination worked.
Is there a SMaSH wiki article? If not I'll make one with some input.
Nice idea. I think Chriso set up the SMaSH group on here, and there are combinations people have tried listed on there - I'll see if I can find a direct link to it...

Here ya go: http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/SMaSH_Enthusiasts

I'm dry-hopping both my Amarillo + Vienna pale ale and IPA today. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I've been working a Paulaner Salvator clone recipe and it looks like I am headed towards a SMaSH brew later today. I am planning on using about 16 lbs of Munich (5.5 gallons/ 21 L) and was thinking about a Decoction mash schedule. In the interest of simplicity, I am considering a single infusion instead. Anyone have a recommendation on temperature. I was thinking 152-154F (67-68C) for 90 minutes. May even try the Brew In Bag thing to keep it really simple. Will have to adjust grain bill up a little to account for reduced efficiency since I usually fly sparge.

Paul

I found a very tasty grain (taste tested by eating some kernels)...
Warminster Maris Otter...can be ordered from
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...lts/warminster-floor-malted-marris-otter.html
I made some specialty grain with it by taking 1/2 pound, soaking it in water for 1 hour and then baking it in a large glass pan in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. At about 55 minutes, they started popping like popcorn, so you may want to cover the pan with foil for the last 15 minutes or so to keep them from ending up on the bottom of the oven. :D
Making up a 4 gallon (pre-boil) batch using 4.5 pounds of the Warminster as bought, 0.5 pound of the oven toasted Warminster and 1 Oz. East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes. East Kent Goldings are my favorite English hop...Wyeast 1968, 7 days at 68 degrees.
:tank:

Ace

Orfy, I'm very interested to hear how it tastes. I'm brewing tonight and not sure what too brew.(either an English IPA, an oatmeal stout, or a single malt single hop beer.) My decision rests on the outcome of your tasting today.(no pressure)

If I brew the "SMaSH" I'll be using Canadian two row and I'm not sure what hops. Let me know if it'll be a waste of time or if there's anything I should be doing to make it tasty.

Enjoy your tasting!

Try Canadian 2 row with some Chinook hops. Very grapefruity and very tasty!

Ace

Back