Found a new one today....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Reaper Ale

I got the Deathly Pale Ale and the Double IPA.....the Sleighor is definitely kicking some a$$..... The pale ale is alot like SNPA so I tried that first. It has all kinds of hop bits floating in it. For some reason, I love that in a beer. :D Probably won't buy it again because the double IPA is much better (85 IBUs), and it probably has THE SINGLE coolest name I've ever heard in a beer. I'm finishing that off and then I'm going to finally break into the growler of Legend Brewing Company Pale Ale that I picked up last week. One other note on the Legend beers, had a chance to try the seasonal Imperial Stout. I must really becoming a fan of Imperial Stouts, cause this one was awesome.

So, anyone had Reaper or Legend brews?

In those legend beer's, are they bottle conditioned and if so, have you ever tried to culture the yeast from them? If there as good as you say they are, then i wouldnt mind culturing the yeast from them.

usmcruz said:
In those legend beer's, are they bottle conditioned and if so, have you ever tried to culture the yeast from them? If there as good as you say they are, then i wouldnt mind culturing the yeast from them.

It's no secret. They use 1056 in every one of thier beers.

Hopfest Ale. It kicks ass.

It is a 12th anniversary ale, and it uses Simcoe and Amarillo hops, and I'd guess around 70 IBUs (can't find specs for it on teh Legend site).

I've never had a brew with Simcoe before so I was glad to get to try one. Simcoe is VERY piney in aroma. I love the beer but I'm not sold yet on the Simcoe.

:rockin:

Dude said:
Hopfest Ale. It kicks ass.

It is a 12th anniversary ale, and it uses Simcoe and Amarillo hops, and I'd guess around 70 IBUs (can't find specs for it on the Legend site).

I've never had a brew with Simcoe before so I was glad to get to try one. Simcoe is VERY piney in aroma. I love the beer but I'm not sold yet on the Simcoe.

:rockin:

It's BAAAAACK..................2007 Hopfest!!!

I've got my local contact holding 4 bombers for me....YES!!!!!!

Legend Hopfest favors the hop flavor and aroma over the intense bitterness that some brewers find necessary to showcase. We decided to begin with a sturdy barley malt background including Munich and aromatic malts, as well as a few medium kilned malts for a rich color and corresponding muscular flavor structure to support the chosen high alpha (that means intense) hops.
The signature hop here is Simcoe, a new breed that promises and delivers a distinct piney aroma. This is combined with Amarillo, which adds fruity notes (melon, apricot, mango). In order to maximize aroma and flavor, while keeping enamel stripping bitterness to a minimum (the longer hops boil, the more bitterness is extracted), we added few hops early and a metric $#&?load of hops late to the boil. Post fermentation dry hopping is done with Simcoe.
Fermentation takes place on a fruity British yeast strain, and the beer is left partially unfiltered for added character.
Look for a deep orange colored beer, with a distinct pine/fruit aroma. Expect an intensely flavored brew, with hop flavor lasting throughout. There is a toasty, earthy background, adding a rich, malty dimension to the long finish. The finishing finish, however (that means the everlasting residual taste), is of hops, and of good and precious ones.
Available beginning February 2007 on draft and in 22oz. bottles. 6.5% ABV

It really, REALLY threw me for a loop to read a thread with "usmcruz" responding... even more disorienting that coming across an old one with El P.

I've had the reaper Deathly Pale before, and i do very much enjoy it. I just looked to see if it was in my cabinet, as i thought i had one more left, but those darn beers go so fast. Thats another one i had to bring from Cali for Fl...
I did think it was better than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale- that is what you mean by SNPA right? i wish i could remember more about the beer though, i just remember that i did like it...

I'm into a bottle of Hopfest and it's weird. I poured the 1st glass and it was very good, a lot of Simcoe flavor but the last sip was creamy. Now I poured the 2nd glass and it's all creamy and not as hoppy as the first glass. 'm not exactly sure if Legend bottle conditions or not but I didn't see any yeast on the bottom when I finished pouring the 2nd glass. Oh well, not a bad beer anyway!

Back