Maris Otter and "crisp malt" definition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perry

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I just got a 50 lb bag of Maris Otter malt, and in big, bold letters on the front it says "Crisp Malting." Now, I was at the Mammoth Bluesapaloosa beer fest a couple of weeks ago and a number of brewers were talking about crisp malt... Is this just another name for Maris, or is it a name given to a certain process of malting?

Thanks, -p

Fly is close. Maris Otter is a cultivar of grain which can be produced by any number of maltsters. In your case Crisp is the maltster. Similar to American 2-row (cultivar) from maltster Briess

Basic rule of packaging: the largest lettering is either a trademark name or the manufacturer.

Thanks, folks. I've been using a few pounds at a time to supplement my standard American Pale base... Now I'm gonna try several of my usual recipes using all Maris Otter as the base. It seems more flavorful than the American. Cheers, -p

Thanks, guy from Iowa. Those links were interesting... I'm curious, and maybe this should be a separate post... are their any West Coast (USA) malting companies?

-p

Like others here have said, Crisp is one of the larger malting company in the UK. They produce several kinds of malt (base malt, caramel malts, etc). Maris Otter is a UK barley variety that has a unique flavor profile when malted. Any maltster can buy Maris Otter barley and process it into Maris Otter malt. You happen to have bought Maris Otter malt made by Crisp Maltings. This is a very good malt and Crisp is a very good malting company.:rockin:

Are there any west coast malting companies? There is one malting company on the west coast of the US and that is Great Western Malting Company. California Concentrates is a company that buys malt and makes extracts. GWMCO actually buys barley and makes the malt. There are some malting companies in Canada in western Canada. Gambrinus Malting is one. GWMCO also imports Baird's malt.

Just FYI.

Dr Malt:mug:

Back