Transporting yeast starter considered open container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I've always wondered this when transporting my starters from my apartment to my parents where I brew. Obviously its up to the discretion of the police officer. Is there any alcohol in a starter? It smells like beer, sorta.

Open Container Laws
In Illinois:
All previously opened containers of alcohol must be transported in a car’s trunk to comply with open container laws prohibiting drinking in a vehicle by the passengers or driver.

In MN:
The open bottle law includes the following provisions:
Refers to both drivers and passengers (expect of those primarily used for the transportation of people such as buses, taxi cabs and limousines). This means that even if you are not found with an open bottle, if someone in your vehicle is, you could be arrested under the open bottle law.
Refers to any area in the vehicle including unlocked glove compartments and any other areas of the vehicle that are readily accessible to the drivers or passengers while in their seats.
Refers to any alcoholic beverage including beer, wine and spirits that contain .5% or more alcohol by volume.
Applies to all vehicles on a public highway or the right-of-way of a public highway.

So put it in the trunk.

i think in court you can argue that it is not a beverage any more than a sourdough starter is.

Open Container Laws
In Illinois:
All previously opened containers of alcohol must be transported in a car’s trunk to comply with open container laws prohibiting drinking in a vehicle by the passengers or driver.

In MN:
Refers to both drivers and passengers (expect of those primarily used for the transportation of people such as buses, taxi cabs and limousines). This means that even if you are not found with an open bottle, if someone in your vehicle is, you could be arrested under the open bottle law.
Refers to any area in the vehicle including unlocked glove compartments and any other areas of the vehicle that are readily accessible to the drivers or passengers while in their seats.
Refers to any alcoholic beverage including beer, wine and spirits that contain .5% or more alcohol by volume.
Applies to all vehicles on a public highway or the right-of-way of a public highway.

So put it in the trunk.

.5% alcohol by volume... Ya, I may have been breaking the law. Thanks for the clarification! Cheers!

Open Container Laws
In Illinois:

In MN:

So put it in the trunk.

Yeah right. Must be kidding. If you transport your starter in your trunk in fear, you forfeit all your points and your HBT membership gets transferred to the Pudding Forum.

Wow. So, I go to a lot of beer tastings and often take dregs home with me from sour beers and it's usually a bottle of Cantillon with a foil wrapper over it. I stick it in my passenger door in the cup holder. I did get pulled over once with two bottles each with an ounce of beer left.

First, the officer confirmed I was of age (I'm 25) then asked why I would be transporting beer with tin foil. I explained the situation and his accent made me believe he has never had bottle conditioned beer. He was going to let me go but requested I pour it out.

"Sir, these were $40 a piece from Belgium. I need these dregs to make beer. Just arrest me"​

He let me go. So, I'd imagine your starter is fine but really it depends on the cop. My town has a "peacekeeper" since our population is so small. As long as you're not an ass, they'll let you go.

Back