kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trid

Reaction score
I am just getting into kegging. I have the stuff coming that I need to do it. My question is can I put my finished beer in the keg for a bit to age and force Carb it later when stuff gets here and I can hook it up

i vote yes. the only thing you have to worry about is oxygen making the beer stale. if the keg is mostly full, there won't be much oxygen to cause it to go stale.

You can transfer it into a keg now, and put about 1/2 the ammount of priming sugar you normally would and let the keg basically act as a big bottle and naturally carb up until the rest of your keg stuff comes in.

While it would be best to be able to briefly hook up the CO2 to be able to purge any oxygen out of the headspace, and make sure the lid seals, its not absolutley necessary...

While it would be best to be able to briefly hook up the CO2 to be able to purge any oxygen out of the headspace, and make sure the lid seals, its not absolutley necessary...

That's actually a bit off...if you do it that way, age it, then turn on the CO2 when it's ready, all of the remaining O2 will get pushed into the beer. (Provided the lid is sealed, of course, but it should be sealed anyway to prevent O2 from leaking in in the first place.)

I am just getting into kegging. I have the stuff coming that I need to do it. My question is can I put my finished beer in the keg for a bit to age and force Carb it later when stuff gets here and I can hook it up

I did this. I let the beer sit in the keg for a month or so. Then I carbonated it and let it sit. It sat for about 2 month's IN A COOL DRY PLACE, and then tossed it into my kegerator. I tried my first glass and it came out great. One suggestion is that when you first carborate it...vent off the O2 so that the beverage is sitting in a keg full of itself and CO2. Take your time and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back