PID - 240v - 10 gallon cooler HERMS HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimpy

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bring this post over to electric brewing from DIY to see if I could get some answers hopefully.

Does anyone here know if I can use this PID: http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=4 with a, say, 3500w element running at full 240v in a 10 gallon cooler type HERMS HLT (ala 'the pol') and program the PID to keep the element throttled back to a ramp of, say, 10 degrees in 5 minute intervals to avoid melting the cooler? I don't have a clue when it comes to the capabilities of a PID. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get fast enough preformance running the element at 110v though.

I currently have an all SS RIMS controlled with a Mashmate 1600 (what a waste of money back 13 years ago or so ) 15.5 HLT, MT, and BK that I was going to set back up but I'd like to get away from lugging them heavy buggers around for cleaning and such. Plus the idea of brewing inside this winter on the dryer circuit has a most definate appeal!

Thanks in advance!!! Wimpy

Back