Different stopper size for glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortdiver

Reaction score
I picked up a glass 5 gal jug at a garage sale today for a couple of dollars, but the opening in the top is too small for the stopper/airlock systems I use with my plastic better bottles.... is this normal? or should they be the same size? I am thinking maybe I should get a book on terrariums... :) Words of wisdom??

Yooper is right about the sizes ... i typically use a 6.5 for carboys .... but if you want you can use a carboy cap and not have to worry about the stopper pushing itself our or into your carboy.

I have a 6.5 gallon carboy. It uses a #7 stopper. I think the 5 and 6 gallon use #6.5 stoppers. Check any on-line store, they should note which stopper their different carboys use.

Yooper is right about the sizes ... i typically use a 6.5 for carboys .... but if you want you can use a carboy cap and not have to worry about the stopper pushing itself our or into your carboy.

I grabbed a couple of those recently... one of each size since I have two different sized carboys. I really like them over the stoppers.

Back