Looking for a doppelbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
As a birthday gift I am brewing a batch of beer for a friend. He has asked for a doppelbock so now I'm looking for a recommended recipe.

This would be my first lager, now that I have a fridge I can dedicate to lagering, so I'm hoping to use a K.I.S.S approach. I've never done a decoction mash. I'm open to the idea but want to know if it is necessary.

thanks

This is a recipe I recently entered into a competition. Although it didn't win, I scored very well. Note that I got 90% efficiency on this, so you'll want to adjust for your system. I would ignore the mash schedule I used. I had a little trouble hitting my final temp of 170, so I had to add more water. Go for a 122-140-158 step mash. No need for a decoction really. It'll add a little bit of carmelization to the wort, but it's not needed. The final product has plenty of malty goodness.

Traditional Dopplebock
5-C Doppelbock
Author: [email protected]
Date: 2/1/2010

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 90.29%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 268.23 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.072 - 1.112)
|===========#====================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.020 (1.016 - 1.024)
|================#===============|
Color: 16.54 (6.0 - 25.0)
|================#===============|
Alcohol: 7.93% (7.0% - 10.0%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 19.8 (16.0 - 26.0)
|==============#=================|

Ingredients:
5.0 lb German Light Munich
3.0 lb German 2-row Pils
2.0 lb German Dark Munich
2.0 lb German Vienna
0.5 lb German CaraMunich I
3.0 oz Chocolate Malt
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbruck (4.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.25 oz Saaz (6.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
122-140-158 mash. 2 gallon sparge.

Added 10 qts of 139F water at 3:55pm to bring mash temp to 123.4F protein rest. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Added 3.5 qts of boiling water at 4:25pm to bring mash temp to 140.2F sach rest. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Added 6 qts of boiling water at 4:55pm to bring mash temp to 156F rest. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Added 6.5 qts of boiling water at 5:25pm to bring mash temp to 165F rest. Allow to sit for 8 minutes.

Added 2 qts of boiling water at 5:33 to bring mash temp to 168F. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Vourlauf and drain to keg.

Added 1.5 gallons of 169F water to sparge. Allow to sit 10 minutes. Vourlauf and drain into kegs.

Collect 6.2 gallons total in keg and begin boil. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops at specified times.

Chill to 52F and add 4qt starter of Wyeast Bavarian Lager. Ferment at 52F for 4 weeks or until fermentation has ceased. Perform Diacetyl rest at 72F for 48hours. Cool to 36F and lager for 1-2 months.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.5

Looks good to me. I'm glad to see the step mash as opposed to decoction. I'm not ready to jump into one of those yet.

Thanks!

Anyone else try this? I made a batch of this and it came out pretty rough, it's still aging. Originally had a Brussels sprout type of smell after coming out of the fridge for a 1 month lager.

It's been aging for another month now in a carboy and the smell seems to have died down... Any ideas? Anyone else make this before? This is my first lager, so i'm not sure if the smell is to be expected with the yeast and all...

Anyone else try this? I made a batch of this and it came out pretty rough, it's still aging. Originally had a Brussels sprout type of smell after coming out of the fridge for a 1 month lager.

It's been aging for another month now in a carboy and the smell seems to have died down... Any ideas? Anyone else make this before? This is my first lager, so i'm not sure if the smell is to be expected with the yeast and all...

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else had an luck with this recipe. I like the looks of it because I'm not sure I'm ready for a true decoction but it would be nice to hear if it has been repeated.

I did finally end up brewing this one on July 9th.

I used a dry yeast, saflager s34/70. I put it in my crawl space which remains at 50-55 F year round. Fermentation took off in the first few days but then so did I. A week after i brewed i left for summer holidays so I can't comment or give any updates but I will at the end of the month when i'm home.

The recipe does call for a 1-2 month lager and if your og was in the 70s everything I have read points to a long lager. I was a little low and ended up with a 1.066 OG. I'll probably let it lager 6 weeks.

I did finally end up brewing this one on July 9th.

I used a dry yeast, saflager s34/70. I put it in my crawl space which remains at 50-55 F year round. Fermentation took off in the first few days but then so did I. A week after i brewed i left for summer holidays so I can't comment or give any updates but I will at the end of the month when i'm home.

The recipe does call for a 1-2 month lager and if your og was in the 70s everything I have read points to a long lager. I was a little low and ended up with a 1.066 OG. I'll probably let it lager 6 weeks.

You're not concerned about the beer sitting on yeast in the primary all summer long?

I know you guys already brewed what you were looking for, but for anyone else looking for a recipe, i've got a tried & true one in my dropdown. Though i personally peformed a decoction, it can probably be avoided, with similar results, using melanoidin malt.

You're not concerned about the beer sitting on yeast in the primary all summer long?

I think i wasn't very clear in that post. I was just away for a couple of weeks. I plan to let it ferment for a month down there.

I've got a question for you actually. Do I rack the beer into a secondary before doing the rest and lagering?

Back