Late Edition Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
What are the best flame out hops or whirlpool editions? i was thinking about using Gelena and I know it is a bittering hop. I will post the results.

That is solely a matter of preference. What kind of beer are you making? What kind of flavours to you like? In what season will you drink? Who are you serving it too? ....And on I go....

Some have less aroma than others, but really, any hop will can be an 'aroma' hop, as they all smell. Galena is a 'bittering hop' mostly because of it's high Alpha content, as are most with that quality.

I personal like Willamette, EKG, Amarillo, Fuggles, Saaz, Halletauer, Centennial, Cascade, & Simcoe myself. There are many I haven't used though. But It's more about style, balance, and hop profile than it is about any given hop.

It takes a lot of experimentation, and personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in any one person's recommendations unless they give you the style they made, the recipe they used, all the other hop editions, (etc..) and then back it up with some type of award - in the absence of that, all you have, and all that matters, is personal preference.

Pale Ale Recipe:
---------------
Amount Item
9.00 lb Pale Malt
3.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
--------------------------------------
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Galena [13.00%] (1 min)
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days)-
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.38 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.1 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

i am looking for a piney citrus flavor and aroma.

For clean pine and citrus just use simcoe. Simcoe is one of the best hops around for IPAs/APAs/etc IMO.
Put some in at 60 to get your IBU's where you want, and then put some in at 30 for some simcoe flavor, and then put some in at flameout for simcoe aroma along with some in dryhop for the dryhop freshness we all love.
Unless you are experimenting with an 'all late hop addition' or 'hop burst' in which case put it all in at 10 and throw some in for dryhop.

If he's trying to do an "all late hop" pale ale that would be how you do it. You need a lot more hops to get the IBUs where you want if you only add them in at say, the last 10 minutes of a boil. You get a major fresh flavor and aroma by doing it this way, its an interesting idea I've been meaning to try sometime.

Suggested Hop Bill
--------------------------------------
1.0 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min)
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%](20 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (1 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (dry hop)
0.50 oz Simcoe[13.00%] (dry hop)

This should give you about 50 IBU's save you a few bucks and get you that piney - citrusy flavor you are wanting. The prior bill would have left you with so much malt sweetness from the vienna and crystal that the hops wouldn't matter.

Off Topic: Extra_Medium, is your name a Brian Regan reference? I have the medium, but I don't know how to extra it!!

no, it is a reference to a Steven Wright comment I heard him make in a standup routine.
:)

something like: i hate shopping, i can never find my size...i wear an extra medium. i is just like medium only bigger.

Galena is supposedly floral. I haven't tried it. Columbus was pretty floral as well as citrusy. My favorites are simcoe and amarillo. Together they are killer (check out Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale, it's a classic on HBT).

I did a late hop IPA with 12 ounces of hops starting at 20' and hopping to flameout. It's insanely, mind bendingly, tung twistingly hoppy without being noticeably bitter even though it's about 80 IBUs. I'll probably save a few bottles of it for a couple of YEARS to see how much the hop character fades.

Another dude from Dayton... I grew up in Brookville and graduated from WSU.

Back