Northern Brewer Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I decided to try brewing the northern brewer saison yesterday. I generally ferment my beer in an unused shower in my basement, but this time of year the temperature down there is really pretty low, about 55˚f so I filled a rubbermaid tub with water and put an aquarium heater in it. Based on the temperature range of the yeast being used (Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast) I was thinking I would try for about 75˚f, but the heater doesn't seem to want to give me much more than 70˚f, so that will have to do.

I just stopped by my house over lunch and checked in on it. The fermentation is by far the most vigorous I've ever had. It actually blew off my blowoff tube. It's also a bit funky smelling. Not really bad, but a little different than I'm used to, and definitely stronger smelling than any of my other brews.

Well in order for it to be a true Saison you will need to ramp the temp higher than 70.... With the 3522 Belgian Ardennes fermentation range is 65-85*.

Why didn't you use the 3724 Belgian Saison yeast? Fermentation temps 70-95* I cultured some Saison yeast from hennipen and Saison Dupont bottles .. Started at 70* then after 3 days ramped it up to 90* . And yes it does have a violent fermentation

Wow, I just bottled this, and it tastes great. This is the first time I've actually thought my beer was very drinkable at bottling time. It has a very subtle banana flavor and this very nice clove flavor. I hope those flavors don't become too subdued over time.

No clue what a saison is supposed to taste like, but this is good.

Back