Apfelwein HELP!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
Ok, last night I started 10 gallons of your apfelwein and tonight they are going strong. But one of the bottles, the brand new better bottle that I JUST got in the mail from AHS, stinks!!! It smells like rotten eggs....do I need to dump it?? I cleaned everything with no rinse cleaner, it's never given me a problem before. But this thing is making my apartment stink.

Any ideas???:confused:

Ok, last night I started 10 gallons of your apfelwein and tonight they are going strong. But one of the bottles, the brand new better bottle that I JUST got in the mail from AHS, stinks!!! It smells like rotten eggs....do I need to dump it?? I cleaned everything with no rinse cleaner, it's never given me a problem before. But this thing is making my apartment stink.

Any ideas???:confused:

Leave it alone. This stuff stinks while it ferments.

Behold! The rhino fart! :drunk:

CI002497-G.jpg

Apfelwein and Kolsch fermentation do that, no worries.

My girlfriend is PISSED, how long can I tell her this beautiful aroma will last? A few more days, or 2-3 weeks?

Thanks!

Few days to a week. If the other one does not stink though, it is lagging behind and will catch up soon ;)

Have you tried telling her "whoever smelt it dealt it"? :D

Edit: And sulfur smells are just the byproducts of some yeast types. Don't tell her that though, go with my first suggestion.

She'll thank you later. It'll last a week or less, and then real hard part comes: the waiting.

Yeah, you know I recently made my first batch of Apfelwein (should be ready to bottle in about 1 week), and it smelled bad like this too. I found it suprising that I had never read that about Apfelwein given the amount of discussion about it. It lasted less than a week for me and I actually just opened up the windows in that room and had a fan going to circulate the air and it helped a lot. I would say to try to get some air circulating if possible but otherwise it shouldn't last too much longer.

Actually, it does not smell bad IMHO, it smells like fermentation to me. My SWMBO complained the first time, but now she tells me it's time to make more.

You should get three going at the same time. Whoooooooo baby!

I just bottled some today, time to get another batch started and breathe deep that special aroma again!

You should get three going at the same time. Whoooooooo baby!

Hahahaha I've got 2 going right now!!! Well the "smell" is about done, which is really cool. It lasted about 4 days, still a little lingering, but not as bad as the first day. I can't wait to try this!:D

Back