AG Mild Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwdr4

Reaction score
Has anyone every made a Mild Ale?? I made one yesterday, cooled it and all, and then pitched the yeast @72. It was about 5 o'clock when I pitched the yeast. It is now 910 or so and no activity yet. Has this happened to anyone?? I usually get action within 10 hours of pitching. Hope I didnt screw up. This is a Northern Brewer AG kit. The yeast was the Activator (it dd work) Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast.

Bill:confused:

Thanks for the post, we'll see what happens from here. I'll give it the time. Like I said usually I get ferm quick this situation might be because of the type of beer being made and the short duration of the fermentation.

We'll see
Bill
:drunk:

You know my impatience has taken a good bite. I went to the lake with my kids today and got home about thirty minutes ago. We'll I walked into the MAN ROOM andlooked at my new Mil Ale and should of guessd it....................I have Krausen. Looks like fermentation has begun.....

Guess I should not think each beer should work the same especially with different yeast strains.

Thanks for the post and I have learned a lesson..............be patient and not be in such a hurry.

:ban:
Fermentation is good.

Bill

rwdr4 said:
Has anyone every made a Mild Ale?? I made one yesterday, cooled it and all, and then pitched the yeast @72. It was about 5 o'clock when I pitched the yeast. It is now 910 or so and no activity yet. Has this happened to anyone?? I usually get action within 10 hours of pitching. Hope I didnt screw up. This is a Northern Brewer AG kit. The yeast was the Activator (it dd work) Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast.

Bill:confused:

I also just made one. I used Nottinghams Ale Dry Yeast. I put the yeast into the beer at 6:00PM last night and had serious fermentation by 11:00PM. I was stunned! I expected 12-24 before lite bubbling not 5 hours for full fermenting/krausen. Charlie

This is the first mild ale, I hope it tuns out good. If it dos and I like it I am going to do a ten gallon one. I have about four hundred 12 ozs bottles to fill.

Right now I am sitting on 15 gallons of three differents brews. One Belgian Wit, One honey weizen, and the mild ale. The first wo are in secondary rght now and the mild just went into the primary. Maybe in two weeks or so Ill be doing a Scottish 80. I already have the grain bill for it. Just have to do it.

Bill
:mug:

rwdr4 said:
This is the first mild ale, I hope it tuns out good. If it dos and I like it I am going to do a ten gallon one. I have about four hundred 12 ozs bottles to fill.

Right now I am sitting on 15 gallons of three differents brews. One Belgian Wit, One honey weizen, and the mild ale. The first wo are in secondary rght now and the mild just went into the primary. Maybe in two weeks or so Ill be doing a Scottish 80. I already have the grain bill for it. Just have to do it.

Bill
:mug:

You need kegs bad. That is a lot of beer to bottle.

Bill

That exact kit was my first AG brew a few months ago. I pitched in the evening, and had activity by morning. It was almost completely fermented out on 4 days. I gave it 1 week in the primary, then 2 weeks in a secondary. when I tasted my samples, they seemed way too malty. The maltiness did mellow a bit with age. When I bottled, it still tasted almost too malty, but once it was carbed it was pretty tasty. I can also say that this stuff get better with time. Its been about 2 months since i bottled, and it is almost perfect right now. A little toasty, but goes down clean with no aftertaste. I will probably brew again, but will add some aroma hops next time.

Back