Quotes about real beer drinkers drinking dark beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archmaker

Reaction score
Ok, I know that someone on here had a good quote about "shamming" his friends that drink commercial beer into drinking dark beer but I cannot remember what it was.

So hopefully, we can come up with some on this thread.

"Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" - Stone Brewery

I'm sort of over the "light vs dark" thing. I used to think that one HAD to progress from light beer to dark beer when changing brands/varieties over the course of an evening. I now realize that a light lager followed by an English brown, then an IPA, a stout, and a barleywine is a perfectly logical progression...and goes from light to dark and back again several times.

"There are starving children in Africa who would love to have that beer - now drink it you ingrate!"

Compliments of a childhood with frequent bouts of Hamburger Helper.

I've been known to call my buddies "BMC pu**ies" (*=s) whenever we go out - which nowadays isn't very often. It seems to make them want to rise to the challenge and try something new. I'd like to think that if it weren't for the free homebrew that I've fed them that they'd never venture outside of the world of BMC.

I dunno... seems to me that people who think beer is better just because it's dark aren't much better than the folks who won't drink it just because it's dark ;)

I mean, it's not really about the color, right?

Thanks for some of the replies, I guess dark/light is not the real issue. The real issue can best be summed up by the quote attributed to Orfy "What is the matter boy, afraid you are going to taste something".

So maybe a good questions what do you say to those who look at you say "I don't drink dark beers because I don't like them". When all they ever drink is Bud Light, and you are offering them your first extract beer that is a Brown Ale.

It is not so much they do not want dark beers but they are not willing to try something that is made with barely and hops, instead of the stuff they normally drink.

But remember, this is all in good fun. This is to poke fun at our friends/neighbors, not to start a fist fight. :)

I recall posting something along the lines of "What's the matter? Are you afraid it'll stain your panties?"

I've used that, successfully, more than once.

TL

I have found that the BMC drinkers think that "floofy german fancy beer drinkers" are the real sissies. That a real man loves an ice cold bud.

I met one poor sap who will only drink BMC and guinness.

I was like "WTF???.......you are almost there!" but he won't budge.

I managed to convert most of my friends. For myself it wasn't about 'being a man' or anything, it also wasn't about light vs dark. It was just about making them see that there is a huge range of beers available. Dark just became the hot topic because of course, none of the mainstream BMC are dark so that's not what they're used to.

The dark vs light beer argument is tough now that Budweiser has enlightened us with "dark beers are more forgiving of flaws". I mean their marketing execs are never wrong...

Bike N Brew said:
I dunno... seems to me that people who think beer is better just because it's dark aren't much better than the folks who won't drink it just because it's dark ;)

I mean, it's not really about the color, right?

My thoughts exactly. I like me some dark beer, but I've also had my fair share of nasty dark beer. Same for lighter beers.

Soulive said:
The dark vs light beer argument is tough now that Budweiser has enlightened us with "dark beers are more forgiving of flaws". I mean their marketing execs are never wrong...

While their ultimate point---that their beer is better because it's lighter---is retarded, the specific declaration that A.L.L. is less forgiving of flaws is ultimately true. This is why that style is one of the hardest to brew correctly. It's even in BYO's "10 Hardest Styles to Brew" article:

An American Pilsner can be summed up in two words — flavorless and flawless. American Pilsners have little malt flavor, hop character or body. But, these elements are balanced and there are no faults.

Evan! said:
While their ultimate point---that their beer is better because it's lighter---is retarded, the specific declaration that A.L.L. is less forgiving of flaws is ultimately true. This is why that style is one of the hardest to brew correctly. It's even in BYO's "10 Hardest Styles to Brew" article:

That's why I don't argue the idea that their beer's style is less forgiving. I just take offense to them trying to label any dark beers as more forgiving...

Isn't the real issue not light and dark, but something much much older???

aren't we forgetting the Reinheitsgebot?

Sure, light and dark beers are both wonderful... but Budweiser isn't even beer, it uses too many adjuncts mostly RICE!!!

let them find another way to market their fizzy yellow grain alcohol water.

or maybe call it malt saki, they can market it to the japanese...

Hogshead said:
Sure, light and dark beers are both wonderful... but Budweiser isn't even beer, it uses too many adjuncts mostly RICE!!!

Okay, you get to be the one that tells the Belgians their some of the things they claim as 'beer' aren't because they use adjuncts. They actually dare to use SUGAR!!!, which is even more neutral than RICE!!!

The Rheinheitsgebot is not the be-all and end-all of defining what is and isn't beer; it's merely the legal requirements that one particular brewing tradition was required to adhere to. I can easily come up with many, many laws from other countries under which light lagers brewed with adjuncts are beer.

Do I drink Budweiser? No. Because I don't like it. But it would be silly to prat about claiming that it's not beer just because I don't like it.

Hogshead said:
Isn't the real issue not light and dark, but something much much older???

aren't we forgetting the Reinheitsgebot?

Oh, please tell me that every beer you brew conforms to that old, archaic law. There's nothing wrong with beer brewed IAW the Reinheitsgebot, but there are plenty of great beers that are well outside its boundaries. By the way, even the Germans conceded that wheat malt and cane sugar have their place in beer brewing.

Exactly how many adjuncts are "too many?" Is my oatmeal stout not beer? What about my Belgian wit?

The Reinheitsgebot has little to nothing to do with the discussion here.

flowerysong, some forms of Belgian candi sugar are actually capable of adding as much flavor and color as dark roasted malts. Clear/light candi sugar might be fairly neutral, but you're making a rather broad generalization.

The Reiheitsgebot was a great consumer protection law when it was laid down, and it might still be. However, it doesn't define what beer is. For example, any beer that includes unmalted grains, including unmalted barley, is outside that law.

TL

The original Reiheitsgebot didn't allow the use of yeast and only applied to a single city, in a single country. It also restricted when you could brew various beers.

Around the same time, another German city banned the brewing of beer forever.

People make a lot of soup out of this mouse.

Speaking of the Hobgoblin adv, I found this amazingly funny:

"Complaint

Objection to a national press ad for beer that was headed "Afraid of the dark, Lagerboy?" and stated "HOBGOBLIN Deliciously dark". The ad featured a picture of a hobgoblin holding a pint of beer.

1. The complainant, a lager drinker, objected that the ad was aggressive and offensive.

2. The ASA challenged whether the ad was irresponsible, because it portrayed drinking Hobgoblin as a challenge."

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/non_broadcast/Adjudication+Details.htm?Adjudication_id=40872

DeathBrewer said:
i believe orfy has a picture that says: "What's the matter, lager-boy? afraid you'll taste something?"
This is definitely the quote that sums up the BMC crowd to me. I want to taste something when I drink beer or anything other than water. Ofcourse many people have misconceptions about what a dark beer tastes like or even what a microbrew tastes like. However more and more people are finding out. I still think many BMC drinkers are like my wife and father-in-law. They really don't like BMC or any other beer but BMC is an inexpensive and readily available alcohol. Kind of the reason many people eat at McDonalds.
Craig

Damn, I must be really lucky. Most of my friends love good beer, and even those that usually drink BMC are glad to drink my brew given the chance.

:mug:

its not even really light or dark beer it's flavor vs none. I had a smithwick's the other day and all I could think was coors with brown food coloring.

I really like witchwood's advertising stuff though.

I wonder if Orfy knows of anywhere I can buy some posters or something from them? A local bar has an awesome one that says "Drink this magic elixir and she'll be beautiful." With a hobgoblin holding a pint and a witch in the background.

yeah, I've seen that. But they only have t-shirts and mugs and such... no posters.

Back