Dark Mild Session Mild (E)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do NOT recommend it. It is far too attenuative. 1275 attenuates in the 75% range, which is at least 5% higher than I prefer. This beer is so, well, mild that you don't really want to exceed 65% attenuation.

If you must use it, underpitch by about 30% and keep the temperature on the low end of the yeast's range. Still, I heartily recommend getting a packet of Windsor and calling it a day. ;)

Bob

Packaging:
* Package targeting 1.75 - 2.0 volumes of CO2. I prefer this on draught, but bottling is all right, too. Too much carbonation completely ruins such a delicate beer, so no matter what you do, do not exceed 2 volumes!

I didn't see this discussed but isn't even 1.75 vols CO2 too much? TastyBrew has the average CO2 volume for a brown ale listed as 1.3-2.0, which already seems like a large range. I would expect that for this beer especially considering how "light" it is in terms of ABV should have a carbonation closer to 1.3-1.5 volumes. Has anyone tried this level of carbonation for this recipe?

I tried another mild with an incorrect carb. Over-carbing DOES destroy the flavor of the beer. Just a heads up.

Im looking into brewing an English Brown and this recipe looks good but with an OG of 1.035 and a FG of 1.010 it seems that it may finish a little bit too mild for me. I practically zero experience with recipe-making and tweaking but if I double the speciality malt amounts, which means using something like the same 4 lbs DME but with 16 oz, 12 oz and 8 oz of Crystal, Chocolate Malt and Roast Malt, do you think that would work out? I'd even be crazy enough to quadruple the original amount you said there, or that could go horribly wrong?

Latest posts

Back