Central IL here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naidirem

Reaction score
Been homebrewing for a few months with a buddy in Springfield, IL. Sadly, I think our homebrew club is defunct here as is, I believe, our homebrew supply shop. We are on our third brew, first non-kit recipe. It is really simple but we hope it will give us a baseline to try out modifications.

So hello to all my fellow Illinoisans, Central, South and even the non-downstaters, who leave me envious of their breweries, pubs, shops and homebrew clubs.

4 I think, there was some other guy that posted on here a bit ago... I think he was from spring...patch as well.

Ize said:
Wow! Someone else who's Central? That makes 3 of us I think! :rockin: ;)

Welcome to the boards!

Ize

I'm over in Champaign (originally from Clinton). There is actually a pretty active home brew club here if you're up for the boring drive on 72. Check it out if you want. The page is old but the events seem often. I've been to a few.
Is there a Friar Tuck over in springfield? the over here has a constantly growing home brew section. I'm not sure if there you have one or if it has a HB section but it's worth a look.

We do have a Friar Tuck in town. We went in the other day and they had zero hops. ZERO. Their entire section was wiped out, not that they had restocked their dwindling supply since we started. The time before we went in for priming sugar we needed for the next day and they were out. One of the managers told us to buy their C&H superfine sugar since that was all it was. I declined but my compadre picked it up anyway. Luckily my work took me near Maryville and I managed to hit a shop there on opening day. The time before we needed bottles and they were sold out. It is a haphazard shop for us to rely on. Either they underestimate the demand, were overwhelmed with an abberation or simply don't care here. Springfield is actualy very ripe for a small supply shop that keeps the basics in stock.

We may have to come check out the Homebrew Club just for the comraderie or even to figure out how one runs to try and get one started over in the Patch. Thanks for the link.

z987k said:
Leisure time in champaign is a good place for homebrew supplies.
Yeah, I usually try there first since they are a local small business. Friar Tuck has a little more and is closer to me but I like the people at Leisure Time so I go there first....actually, I was just there today. =)

Naidirem said:
We do have a Friar Tuck in town. We went in the other day and they had zero hops. ZERO. Their entire section was wiped out, not that they had restocked their dwindling supply since we started. The time before we went in for priming sugar we needed for the next day and they were out. One of the managers told us to buy their C&H superfine sugar since that was all it was. I declined but my compadre picked it up anyway. Luckily my work took me near Maryville and I managed to hit a shop there on opening day. The time before we needed bottles and they were sold out. It is a haphazard shop for us to rely on. Either they underestimate the demand, were overwhelmed with an abberation or simply don't care here. Springfield is actualy very ripe for a small supply shop that keeps the basics in stock.

We may have to come check out the Homebrew Club just for the comraderie or even to figure out how one runs to try and get one started over in the Patch. Thanks for the link.

No problem. I'm not that versed in how they run but I work with a few of the guys and have been to a few meetings. Actually, the President of the club is opening a Brewery up in downtown Champaign. It should be pretty good once it's open.

nb

buraglio said:
Yeah, I usually try there first since they are a local small business. Friar Tuck has a little more and is closer to me but I like the people at Leisure Time so I go there first....actually, I was just there today. =)

I've never actually seen anyone else in there, and I've wondered if I'm the only person that buys from him since it seems his supplies are the same every time I come in... everything but what I bought last time.

Friar Tuck really has a better selection? I've never been there looking for homebrew supplies.

Back