54% viability ...stepping up a starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I have this yeast 1388 and it has 54% viability according to mr malty's pitching calculator..I need a pretty large starter at least 5L ..So my question is what the best way to step this up and how long before brew day should i start the stepping up process?

yeastcalc.com is your best resource.

let a starter run 24 hours (give it 36 if you can), then 24-36 hr cold-crash in the fridge, decant, repeat all steps again by brew day. so if you go long, 36+36+36+36= 6 days.

it's certainly possibly to do it faster than that, some folks only give their starters 16 hours before cold-crashing. you could also not cold-crash the last step and pitch the whole thing.

I have found the viability by date to be highly inaccurate on Mr. Malty and Yeast calc. You are likely closer to 75% viability.

Analysis here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/refrigeration-effects-on-yeast-viability.html

Also the viability may be fine but the vitality will be low. Don't go by a set schedule of days with old yeast. Wait for the krausen to start to fall or for half of the sugar to be consumed.

See here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/yeast-cell-growth-observations.html

OK..step one of the starter..1.5L water + 5.2 oz of DME (1.037 OG wort) chill to 62*F and pitch yeast..allow to ferment for 24-36 hours..chill for 24 hours and decant...But i have 1 question..once the wort is chilled and ready to decant should i warm it back to 62*F before adding step 2 wort? my fridge is 40*F..Would adding 62*F wort to 40*F yeast cause the yeast to struggle?..should i warm the yeast to 62*F before i decant and add new wort? srry if this is a stupid question..i just get confused sometimes never did a step up starter

you want to decant while the yeast is still cold, that helps keep the yeast compacted at the bottom of your flask/jar/etc. you could i add a little wort at a time, over 15-30 mins, to slowly warm up the yeast. i sometimes do this, other times i've also pitched it all in at once and it came out just fine.

you want to decant while the yeast is still cold, that helps keep the yeast compacted at the bottom of your flask/jar/etc. you could i add a little wort at a time, over 15-30 mins, to slowly warm up the yeast. i sometimes do this, other times i've also pitched it all in at once and it came out just fine.

Ok cool..thanks alot

Back