Ester?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letitrainuk

Reaction score
Not sure what forum to put this in being new. Not sure where its coming from or even if it is an ester flavor im smelling and tasting. Ive brewed a number of beers of different kinds. And im getting this out of most if not all. Its not too strong at times but its there. I was looking for suggestions on what it could be and a way to fix it. It kind of a sour sweet smell. I hate to say banana because its that close. Its hard to expect an answer for this being a flavor issue but anyway. But for an example: I brewed a Irish Red Rye using 2# of rye, 10# 2 row, 2 oz roasted barley, 4 oz caravienne, 8 oz honey malt, 4 oz carapils, and 8 oz crystal 40. I used Wyeast 1084 and fermented the whole time at the lower 62 to 63. Still coming up with this flavor. Im wanting a clean smelling/tasting beer and its frustrating to no end with the lengths I take on cleaning and sanitizing you wouldnt thing that was the problem. HELP PLEASE. :mug:

Thanks for the link! That will help in the future. The flavors im getting is going to be between cidery and estery. Having trouble distinguishing it. :(

Back