So the kids knocked the airlock off my carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
Just went past my carboys and noticed the airlock was knocked off. Probably been this way for 20 hours or so. It has been fermenting for 10 days at 62-64 degrees. I put the stopper back in just now. Should I be worried about infection?

I wouldn't worry about, cant change it anyways. Was it in a drafty area? That would be my primary concern. If its by a vent or something you might need to monitor it. Most likely the fermentation is not pushing a lot of Co2 after 10 days.

Cool... kinda figured it would be OK. No drafts, very little air movement if any. Doesn't really matter, it's getting dryhopped with more Citra in a couple weeks and bottled. Was just wondering if I should do anything else.

Are you sure they just knocked it off and nothing else? My kids did the same thing you speak off. I thought all they did was knock it off until I went to bottle and found 5 crayons on the bottom. Tasted fine and named it "Crayola IPA"

Are you sure they just knocked it off and nothing else? My kids did the same thing you speak off. I thought all they did was knock it off until I went to bottle and found 5 crayons on the bottom. Tasted fine and named it "Crayola IPA"

that rules

I had a lid blow off of a 5 gallon fermenter bucket in my garage, (Making a Belgian Strong Ale) not sure how long it was off. Checked it when I got home and noticed it. there was yeast and foam everywhere. That beer turned out great. I was worried that it would have been ruined.

iskuse said:
I had a lid blow off of a 5 gallon fermenter bucket in my garage, (Making a Belgian Strong Ale) not sure how long it was off. Checked it when I got home and noticed it. there was yeast and foam everywhere. That beer turned out great. I was worried that it would have been ruined.

Same thing happened to me for an ipa, ended up fine. Wouldn't worry about it.

Should be fine, the co2 will have probably protected the beer as long as you dont find pennies at the bottom.

Next brew I would suggest a lock on the door though :)

I think the important thing to note that people have been making beer for hundreds if not thousands of years, in some form or another.

Fermented in everything from fancy glass carboys to the hollowed out corpses of their enemies.

A day without an airlock isn't much to worry about.

Back