German Pils Ben's German Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308)
Yeast Starter
Big!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
36.5 IBU
Color
3.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
48 hour diacetyl rest
Tasting Notes
A little more like the Bohemian that I had been shooting for...
9.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 94.74 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (90 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [1.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [2.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 gal Distilled Water
4.00 gal Salt Lake City, UT Water

Starter/Mash
Prepare a starter and step it up a few days in advance, and put it in the fridge once it is sufficiently large enough, or plan on using an existing yeast cake. I have very hard water here, so I diluted my mash water with 50/50 mix of local/distilled water. I did a single temp infusion mash this time, but would like to dry a decoction mash next time instead. Either way, mash on the cooler side of things (< 153F).

Boil:
Boil for 90 minutes and add first hops 30 minutes into it (60 minutes remaining). At the beginning of the boil, take the starter out of the fridge so it is almost at pitching temp when it is needed. At the end of the boil, quickly cool the finished wort.

Fermentation:
I forgot to put this in the recipe portion above: ferment this around 50F . I fermented this outdoors in a carboy that was immersed in water inside a trash barrel. I have a thermostat connected to a fish tank heater (100W) dialed into about 50F. The days/nights that I fermented it were sufficiently cold (25F-40F night temps) enough that the heater could keep it from getting too cold and the daytime didn't warm up enough to make the water bath increase by more than one or two degrees. After 18-21 days of primary fermentation at about 50F, increase temps to low 60's F for 48 hours for diacetyl rest.

Rack the finished beer into carboy or keg, and cool approximately 2F each day until it is down near freezing. Leave in keg or carboy for at least a month.

Back