Thoughts on this purchase - "soda" dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_brewer

Reaction score
So there is a "soda" dispenser unit available in my area... and I am wondering if it is worth getting, or not.

It is the gun-style dispenser, with the set-up for 5 different flavours of drinks. It has an ice-block style unit, which cools the drink as it goes through the line.

When I explained to the seller what I was looking at it for (as part of a home bar kegging set-up) he mentioned that he would throw in a 20gal keg, some lines and some regulating gauges that he has been planning on selling separately.

He is asking $300 for it... and for sure hubby and I will have to see it to decide if it will fit anywhere, or if it is just too early in our bar-building plans to get it, but I was wondering if anybody here had thoughts or opinions on using something like this for that purpose?

Most gun-style soda systems mix at the gun, so they won't work for beer, if that is what you were thinking. Ask if it is a pre-mix system, those can be modified for beer.

If you just want it for soda and you family drinks a lot of it, then it can be useful. I just keep a cornie of soda water in my kegger and the soda concentrates in the fridge.

It is a pre-mix system.

I am just wondering if it is an unneeded purchase... I do have a spare fridge that I could use for kegging, but when we move everything to the future bar I would have to get a keezer or build a cold room (which I had thought of doing anyway.) This seems like it might be a good purchase in the meantime, but I wonder if I am just enthusiastic because it is so rare to actually see beer things for sale here...

A couple of months ago there was a Coke dispenser for sale on the local Craigslist that the owner had been using for beer. It was an old Cornelius unit - basically a big plate chiller.
Would have been really cool. The price was actually quite reasonable, but finances being what they are right now, I just couldn't justify the expense...

Back