no carb in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
I bottled some stout last week and was eager to check the carbonation/taste of one as I let them age. I figured by at least a week the bottles should have some CO2 but there was none. Usually any brew I bottle is carbonated by 1 week but this one has none. I will check in another week but I am really hoping that the yeasties arent dead from the ABV. OG was 1.112 and FG was 1.030. After 1.5 weeks in the primary and no activity for several days I checked the FG - I figured 1.030 it was done. I added the priming sugar in the secondary after it sat for two weeks and then transferred to bottling bucket then bottled. Am I pre-mature in opening to check for CO2 progress or is my concern justified?

Thanks -

TxT

I haven't made a beer of such high gravity yet myself, but from all I've seen big beers can carb slowly: tired yeast and high ABV will slow things down even if it's still alive in there, and I've seen posters say their barleywines, IIPAs, etc have taken months to carb up properly sometimes. If it's just been a week I wouldn't worry - a beer that strong will need a good while for its flavor to mature anyway.

That said, what yeast did you use, and how much did you pitch?

I used wyeast london ale #1028 smack packs & double pitched. i know that this baby needs to age but was hoping that i might see some carb up in the first week & taste. so it looks like I may be pre-mature & it needs more time.
I fed the yeast 2 times w/ nutrient while it was in the primary so the poor little guys wouldnt be so tired. ok then - another two weeks at least before I may see some carb up?
thanks guys -

TxT

i think with a beer that big, you can count on at least 6 weeks before anything carbonates. it might even take longer.

Back