False bottom help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Ok I have a 10G Rubbermaid, a Zymico ball valve kit and the false bottom adapter kit that MW sells. I thought it would be a quick install however it was a bit of a PITA. The ball valve and bulkhead took two huge pairs of vise grips to tighten but works great with no leaks. My plan was to the install the adapter and put in the false bottom. Found out the hard way that the FB doesn't fit in well after the adapter is installed so I had to force the FB in a bit which scraped up the cooler a bit, hopefully the FB doesn't have to be taken in and out much. Then I got to try and connect the two barbed fitting with the semi-stiff braided tubing that was supplied. Its a total PITA to get on, I cut it to length and ended up putting a slit on each end so it would go over the barb easier. Then the SS hose clamps they supply are too small and won't engage when they're set loose enough to fit over the tubing/barbs.

So I'd like to know how you guys run your tubing so its easy to install, I did a straight run however I could see how a loop might be easier or even not lining up the barbs in a line so the tubing has to bend. I wish MW wouldn't have cheaped out on the tubing, they should have included some silicone tubing instead of the cheap stiff stuff. Right now I have the tubing connecting the two barbs but it has splits on the ends and no hose clamps. I'm brewing this weekend and will probably have to pick up some bigger clamps. I will probably buy a foot of 3/8" Silbrade on my next order to do it right like MW should have done.

If any of you guys have pictures of the inside of your cooler showing the connections that would be great.

Okay, braided vinyl is HARD stuff... silicone would be better.

BUT, I have the same thing you have. You need to cut the hose to the correct length #1... to get a straight run. Then boil some water, place ONE end of the hose in it and get it nice and supple, slide over the barb on the false bottom

Repeat with the other end now... place the bottom in the tun and slide that end over the other barb.

Complete.

After a day on the barbs, the hose stretches and it is much easier to get on and off.

Back